Best Mexican restaurant in Norman....or not

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about my previous comment, I guess the fact that I don't remember much about the times I was there also means that there was nothing that left me with bad feelings about the restaurant. I'm sure we will eat there may times in the future.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Love Tarahumara’s, we have been going since it opened and highly recommend it to my coworkers when in Oklahoma from the east coast.

I’ve never heard a complaint from folks so this comes as a surprise, I don’t ever believe reviews (good/bad), our family has enjoyed the privilege of being “Secret Shoppers” for quite a few restaurants in the Okc metro, a benefit of being in the food business, and can tell you that there are plenty of great choices if you base your food decisions on almost anything besides reviews. The owner of Tarahumara’s won’t miss your business as he has plenty but I guarantee that if you would have asked to see him to speak about your “situation” he would have made it right, he is a tremendous man.

Good luck in your culinary adventures!
There were plenty of folks in there with the same sentiments as yours(mostly large, overweight and throwing down the 'free' chips, salsa, tortillas and cheese goo). Not saying that's you. The owner couldn't have helped IMO - the food wouldn't get any better and the prices wouldn't go down and that was our 2 gripes. As you stated, with the amount of patrons willing to pay $17 for a taco platter seems endless, my business won't be missed and my review won't change anything in that regards. Tis what it tis!

But, just like guns, everyone has their opinions and until you've shot said gun then really it's an uneducated bias and worthless opinion.

We know good Mexican food and Tarahumara's isn't it for us.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been eating at Tarahumara’s for decades. My wife got me on it and it was our first date spot. The food has always been good and (to me) it’s priced well for the quality. Efram, the owner, lives near us and is pretty much always there, checking on tables and saying hi to the regulars. They flip tables faster than any place else I've been. Sorry to hear you were disappointed with it.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve been eating at Tarahumara’s for decades. My wife got me on it and it was our first date spot. The food has always been good and (to me) it’s priced well for the quality. Efram, the owner, lives near us and is pretty much always there, checking on tables and saying hi to the regulars. They flip tables faster than any place else I've been. Sorry to hear you were disappointed with it.
It just wasn't for us but I'm glad others enjoy it and appreciate no bashing but just giving honest opinions. Having sat in the kitchen with my mother-in-law and her 2 sisters(at the time all in their 70s) I got to appreciate the time and effort that goes into making authentic Mexican food from scratch. It's very labor intensive but the reward is out of this world! I sure miss those ladies(1 sister left and she's 91 or 92). But, we got several of their recipes before passing away. Now to find someone who can read their cursive handwriting in Spanish!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. I have never eaten at Tarahumara. At those prices, most likely never will.
2. Ted's is not worth the price for the quality, alrightbut nothing special.. IMHO

We lived south of Houston for 25 years. A Mexican food restaurant on every corner. The worst of them all blows anyplace away of what we have had in OK.
Like food around the US, different regions prepare the same foods differently. Southern Mexico, coastal, northern, peasant, tex-mex, cali-mex are all different.
I like most, having found very few bad. But, Mexican food is meant to be CHEAP. Beans, rice, flour, cheap meat and add some spices.

For years, fajita meat was fed to hogs or sold to Mexicans $0.10#. Send in the hype and convince gringos fajitas is "special" and sell for more than ribeye.

Dinner for 2 surpassing $50, had best be a special, memorable, GOOD meal, with good service.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tarahumara is living on their past reputation, IMHO. They used to make really good food for a super low price, but they started ratcheting up the price and ratcheting down the quality, IMHO

My opinion as well. Treated a buddy for lunch there a few months back and had roughly the same experience financially as the OP.

Being dudes, I prefer a place that has a bar we can sit at —. I frequent H&H a bit, so love to hit up San Marco,s around the corner on Meridian - great bar!

I have an uncomplicated palate on Tex mex food so have zero complaints on their food though. I will probably eat there again because my buddy and I run around on the side of norman quite a bit and you wouldn’t think it but it’s become increasingly a bigger pain in the butt to go over to the Westside and the I 35 Corridor where Teds/Chuys etc are.

I don’t know if it’s still there because I have not been to Lowe’s in Norman in a while but there was a good place literally in the corner of the Lowe’s parking lot call Mama Veca. They do a pretty good job with the stuff I like - mostly chimichangas or cheese enchiladas w chili sauce - as I said, uncomplicated —- But they are technically Peruvian and have a bunch of Peruvian dishes like ceviche, For those who like that sort of thing

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My opinion as well. Treated a buddy for lunch there a few months back and had roughly the same experience financially as the OP.

Being dudes, I prefer a place that has a bar we can sit at —. I frequent H&H a bit, so love to hit up San Marco,s around the corner on Meridian - great bar!

I have an uncomplicated palate on Tex mex food so have zero complaints on their food though. I will probably eat there again because my buddy and I run around on the side of norman quite a bit and you wouldn’t think it but it’s become increasingly a bigger pain in the butt to go over to the Westside and the I 35 Corridor where Teds/Chuys etc are.

I don’t know if it’s still there because I have not been to Lowe’s in Norman in a while but there was a good place literally in the corner of the Lowe’s parking lot call Mama Veca. They do a pretty good job with the stuff I like - mostly chimichangas or cheese enchiladas w chili sauce - as I said, uncomplicated —- But they are technically Peruvian and have a bunch of Peruvian dishes like ceviche, For those who like that sort of thing
Mamaveca is still there. They’re Peruvian if I remember right. Lots of fish and seafood dishes which I’m not fond of. My wife love it though.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always liked their food in the past. It was usually fast music to get ya out quick. Haven't been in a while. Seems like a lot of restaurants have gone downhill lately. Parkng lot is always full when I go by. We will go back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom