alum vs vinyl replacement windows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Community Builders is owned by a long-time friend, Greg Wolter. He has the best products and service in the business. I would definitely call him and get his info. Then, at least, you have a benchmark for shopping around more if you like.

They replaced all the siding on our last house, and did outstanding work.

P.S., I couldn't believe that they used "45 year" caulking on everything, but they have a lifetime warranty, and I guess they really want to make sure you don't need it!

Tom

patrickcudd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could talk to you about windows for hours. As a builder (just not right now) and an Energy Star certified Rater, I know a bit about this subject.

Look at it this way.... You can put as much insulation in the walls as you want, seal the windows as tight as can be for air penetration, it will be meaningless without certain window options (I'm just talking about wall units here).
Low-e is indeed important. It reduces the amount of radiation (heat) that makes through the glass. Make sure you buy windows locally too. In northern climates, the low-e coating is on a different pane to keep heat inside.
Even with vinyl frames, a thermal break is necessary, which is simply something inbetween the inside and outside panes of vinyl. It stops conductive heat loss or gain.
Multiple panes of glass, with an inert gas between them is also very important. Tripple are the best, but also very expensive.

Also it is important to note that even the best tripple pane, argon filled, thermally broken, low-e window that costs an arm and a leg will only have an R-value of R-9 or so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom