Aluminum Wheel Repair? Anyone on here do it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shakel65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got a crack in one of the wheels on my car. Need it welded, checked for round and rebalanced. Anyone on here do that or know anybody who does? Thanks

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got a crack in one of the wheels on my car. Need it welded, checked for round and rebalanced. Anyone on here do that or know anybody who does? Thanks
I’d look on eBay for a replacement, welding aluminum wheels can be done but to do it well they have to preheat it and that poses problems to the coating on the rest of the wheel. I would guess you might find a competent rig welder to try it but I doubt anyone would guarantee it would work (without makin the crack worse). Aluminum really is more complicated to repair then it seems

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Alloy wheels get repaired. It's not an exotic thing. If done by a reputable shop I'd have no problem with it.

Yes if it requires welding you might have to refinish the wheel, but if the wheel is worth repairing it's probably worth refinishing. And if it's a reputable shop that knows what they're doing, they'll most likely be able to to tell you if it will need refinishing up front.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wheel Fixer on SE 30th, near 29th and High, repair wheels for many of the tire and body shops in town. I had them repair the rash on a couple of mine and refinish the set. I was very happy with the results.

As long as the crack is limited to the lip itself, it would not bother me to weld it. I've seen much worse welded on sprint car wheels subjected to far worse abuse.

cz_partizan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've taken several wheels for cracks and bends up to Montoya's wheel repair on SW 30th and Robinson. They're pretty cheap and I've never had any problems with their results.
Its a drop off in the morning and pick up in the evening type of place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's a factory rim I would just say hit http://car-part.com/ I had a car with two that were bent bad as well as cracked from hitting a pothole in OKC on thanksgiving night. Was living in Lawton at the time so I just whacked it semi into place and limped home stopping to aid air every so often and taking it slow. Even ebay was 50 bucks per rim, I got two for about 60 shipped. Used the road hazard on the tires and ended up spending 20 bucks each to have them replaced.

Latest posts

Top Bottom