ammo, reloading, hunting questions...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlw2123

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well ive narrowed my selection down to taking my vz-24 brno 8mm mauser rifle or my 1911 swiss .308 straight pull for deer hunting this year. what i want to know, is why the hell did they and do they still produce the 8mm mauser factory ammo at ballistics the same as the 30-30 when the original euro spec is at or above .3006 ballistics?? i have never figured this out...they did not do it to other military surplus rifle ammunition...that i know of. they underpowered the 8mm mauser...why? for this reason, i dont want to buy remington core lokt 170 gr SP because the muzzle is 2360fps/2200 ft lbs energy when i can get a sellior and bellot at 196 gr HPBT at 2600 muzzle velocity and around 2900 ft lbs energy (original euro spec). my rifle looks to be fired very little in the past so i dont know what the lower pressure is supposed to accommodate?

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty sure because of how some of the real early models cannot take the pressure. like the 1888s i think. since they are out there they dont want someone getting great great grandpas war bring back and stuffing something way to hot in it. this is one reason in reloading manuals there is 6.5x55 data for military rifles and modern actions.

Latest posts

Top Bottom