Ammo storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any room under the bed? Think about space you might not be using.
This is actually where a good chunk of mine is currently stored. Mostly in surplus US military cans. Works pretty well and is out of the way.

And yes, there's a "tiny" amount of 22 under there.

20231011_173114.jpg

Last edited:

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tested ammo cans I got from a member here left them outside in the rain for a couple months with tools in them and left a harbor freight plastic ammo can outside in the rain and both have rubber seals for the lids.

Harbor freight had 2" of water in the bottom and the military can was bone dry.
You can submerge a good military ammo can in water and it will stay dry for a couple months.

My friend tested that.
Or look at these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009918090?pid=756734
Those cans look super cool!

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Flat bins. That’s actually a great idea 🤔
I have mine in the closet in ammo cans (behind the clothes), I have the rifles under the bed in locked cases. If I had to do it over I might use .30 cans instead of .50 just for the individual weight. Ammo can get HEAVY.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be worried about condensation from the hot and cold. Plus the amount of money we pay for ammo and firearms. I wouldn’t want to have any go bad in the can or the gun. If you had a squib load and your ammo was stored outside. The manufacturer wouldn’t even try and help out.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is actually where a good chunk of mine is currently stored. Mostly in surplus US military cans. Works pretty well and is out of the way.

And yes, there's a "tiny" amount of 22 under there.

View attachment 418874

I've been thinking about this, is your ammo still in their boxes or do you have just the rounds laying in there?

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this, is your ammo still in their boxes or do you have just the rounds laying in there?
Most of it is still in boxes. The only ammo I "dump" is bulk pack stuff that I'm actively shooting through. And even then, I only mix boxes from the same lot.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright fellas, got a question for you all. I am running out of storage because I downsized pretty he’s ily when we moved. I have a metal locker I kept a lot of my ammo in but that locker is currently in my parents garage because my house is smaller and I don’t have any where my wife would find acceptable 🙄. We have a storage shed I just had moved here that very sturdy with new skids and it’ll hold the weight. My question is whether or not ammo will keep out in a shed that’s not insulated in a non-insulated locker if I regularly check a desiccant can or pack. Humidity in the winter isn’t too bad here but the summer would be terrible I know. What are y’alls thoughts on storing ammo like that and should I even bother? Thanks!
air tight containers and some gable vents in the barn to let out the summer blazing heat should be fine!