Ammo storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mil-surp ammo cans are designed for what you are wanting to do.

Back when steel shot was first implemented. I worked a guy, notorious outlaw hunter and tight wad, he kept his reloaded lead shot shells in an ammo can, under his duck blind. (Under water) to avoid GW. He never had a problem with misfire, rusty or wet ammo.

I found ammo, in the closet, at Papa's house, that had been there 40 years. House had a swamp cooler, in the living room, (when occupied), but it done nothing for bedroom closet. All ammo was good.

I lived on the coast, south of Houston, for 25 years. Open 5 gal buckets of shotgun hulls awaiting reload, were in the garage. Horrible climate, high humidity year round. Occasionally, I would come across a hull with rusty brass. Most were tarnished, but very usable.

I store under the bed. What Wif don't see, I don't get in trouble. What isnt in origanal cardboard cases, the cheap, plastic ammo cans or any container work just fine, under the bed.

Even the bulk of my reloads are in factory cartons, for quick identification and easy storage.

A SECURE shed should be fine.

Last edited:

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the price of Ammo and Indoor storage, before it went down with the boat I bought an Ammo Storage Locker from Cabela's. Ammo was indoors so temperature and humidity remains relatively constant. The cabinet is 3/16ths of an inch thick steel and lockable.

Jeff Rasberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright fellas, got a question for you all. I am running out of storage because I downsized pretty he’s ily when we moved. I have a metal locker I kept a lot of my ammo in but that locker is currently in my parents garage because my house is smaller and I don’t have any where my wife would find acceptable 🙄. We have a storage shed I just had moved here that very sturdy with new skids and it’ll hold the weight. My question is whether or not ammo will keep out in a shed that’s not insulated in a non-insulated locker if I regularly check a desiccant can or pack. Humidity in the winter isn’t too bad here but the summer would be terrible I know. What are y’alls thoughts on storing ammo like that and should I even bother? Thanks!
Would probably be best if you just bring your ammo to me and I will watch it for you

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have tested ammo cans I got from a member here left them outside in the rain for a couple months with tools in them and left a harbor freight plastic ammo can outside in the rain and both have rubber seals for the lids.

Harbor freight had 2" of water in the bottom and the military can was bone dry.
You can submerge a good military ammo can in water and it will stay dry for a couple months.

My friend tested that.
Or look at these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009918090?pid=756734
What about the green metal cans that Atwoods and Harbor freight sells that look almost identical to the military surplus cans except they are new (and not sure if made in china)?

I been doing plastic cans to save weight but the extra weight would be worth it if they work better...do you think the reproduction metal cans would be better than the plastic? The ones at Atwoods looked to be good quality.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Current storage facility....

Attachments

• Storage.jpg
    Storage.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 0

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What about the green metal cans that Atwoods and Harbor freight sells that look almost identical to the military surplus cans except they are new (and not sure if made in china)?

I been doing plastic cans to save weight but the extra weight would be worth it if they work better...do you think the reproduction metal cans would be better than the plastic? The ones at Atwoods looked to be good quality.
Check the lid for a gasket. Some replicas are thin and don’t have a gasket

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Friend bought a couple of those Atwoods cans and told me one of them had water in it after a rain.
He mounted them on the front of his trailer to keep straps in.
I gave him 2 of the ones I bought off a member here and they stay bone dry.

That is all i know about that.
The sides of the lids did not sit tight against the side of the can.
And something else about them but i do not recall what it was.

Look them over really well I suppose.