Ammunition Warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extractors are cheap. Ammo is expensive.

Try to wear out an extractor with exclusively Wolf. I bet it will take you a while...

I feel that it isn't an issue.

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wolf and all that steel cased crap has a coating on it that over time gummies up the works.

I know lots of people shoot it and shoot it fine, but I will stick to brass and the good ole USA. I understand the cost and if others are willing to risk it or have had good luck then God bless them, but I want to make sure my pricey AR makes a loud noise everytime the trigger is pulled.

I have personally seen a guys AR in the gun shop that looked like someone sprayed a nasty clear coat of a Krylon paint can into the chamber. They ended up having spend much more $$$ than they saved on ammo.

It would be like buying a Corvette, then filling it up with low 87 octane gasoline that is 10% ethanol. Will the car run, yes it will run. Over time though the extra moisture residue from the ethanol is bad for the fuel injection, not to mention the pre-detonating (pinging) that you are going to experience in your cylinders. Instead you fill up with 100% gasoline that is a minimum 89 or 91 octane.

defender56

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought Wolf stopped producing lacquer coated cases a couple of years ago or so. Is this what you are talking about?

Wolf and all that steel cased crap has a coating on it that over time gummies up the works.

I know lots of people shoot it and shoot it fine, but I will stick to brass and the good ole USA. I understand the cost and if others are willing to risk it or have had good luck then God bless them, but I want to make sure my pricey AR makes a loud noise everytime the trigger is pulled.

I have personally seen a guys AR in the gun shop that looked like someone sprayed a nasty clear coat of a Krylon paint can into the chamber. They ended up having spend much more $$$ than they saved on ammo.

It would be like buying a Corvette, then filling it up with low 87 octane gasoline that is 10% ethanol. Will the car run, yes it will run. Over time though the extra moisture residue from the ethanol is bad for the fuel injection, not to mention the pre-detonating (pinging) that you are going to experience in your cylinders. Instead you fill up with 100% gasoline that is a minimum 89 or 91 octane.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ever picked up any of the steel cases at a range? no laquer missing off them. the stuff doesn't come off. might be some of the sealer around the primer, but the case laquer doesn't come off from shooting it.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Really? It costed them "much more $$$" to clean it? Seems like operator error to me.

Nik said:
It would be like buying a Corvette...Instead you fill up with 100% gasoline that is a minimum 89 or 91 octane.

Bad analogy, IMHO.

I can gut and clean an AR-15 in about half an hour, and that doesn't have be done every couple thousand rounds if you keep her all lubed up. If you know how to maintain your weapon, you could spray Krylon into your bore and clean it out.

I can't with a Corvette.

Your experiences with Wolf don't seem to be firsthand. The new(er) stuff is polymer coated.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
wow! I have shot so much wolf its not even funny! If you count what my brother and I have shot together its well over 20,000 over the last 6 years. Never had any issues at all.

but we clean and lube out guns too.......:ooh2:

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have never shot wolf being new to AR's... but reading this thread makes me want to buy 1k of wolf .223 to try out.

cleaning is maintenance... not a big deal...

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMHO it is a good analogy.

I think I said it was not from first hand shooting in my message. I clearly stated that I do not shoot it in my AR, but I have with my own eyes seen an AR at the gun shop that had crap in it and the owner acknowledged he had shot approximately 5000 rounds of Wolf and Brown Bear, and it was not cleaned in 30 minutes.

The new stuff may be polymer coated as I have not looked at that ammo since about 18 months ago. Now in the past, I have shot plenty of Wolf in my buddies cheap Wasr and it has went bang everytime with no trouble.

I am not saying you or anyone should stop shooting it. In fact, I prefer more people do shoot the 223 steel stuff in their AR so the brass is left for me to purchase. I sincerely mean that, no secret agenda.

If you have found a product that works for you and performs consistently for you, then by all means use it. I have, albeit months ago, seen things that are unacceptable to me. I have (for the moment) still freedom in this country to not purchase a case of Wolf. You have the freedom to purchase it.

Really? It costed them "much more $$$" to clean it? Seems like operator error to me.

Bad analogy, IMHO.

I can gut and clean an AR-15 in about half an hour, and that doesn't have be done every couple thousand rounds if you keep her all lubed up. If you know how to maintain your weapon, you could spray Krylon into your bore and clean it out.

I can't with a Corvette.

Your experiences with Wolf don't seem to be firsthand. The new(er) stuff is polymer coated.

Nik

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
have never shot wolf being new to AR's... but reading this thread makes me want to buy 1k of wolf .223 to try out.

cleaning is maintenance... not a big deal...

Uh, I whole-heartedly agree. If anyone in this message board does not agree with that, then they should probably get into something other than guns. :hithead:

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Extractors are cheap. Ammo is expensive.

Try to wear out an extractor with exclusively Wolf. I bet it will take you a while...

I feel that it isn't an issue.

I just hate to do anything that could/might cause a failure in a time of need. I've also had a few bad rounds of Wolf Classic 7.62x39. They didn't fire or were light loads and didn't cycle the weapon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom