Animal Cruelty: Does It Get Any Worse Than This?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those Chinese bile farms aren't a very well kept secret, but the idea of a bear killing its own cub out of mercy, and then committing suicide by smashing its head into something is absolutely ridiculous. It frightens me that people actually believe that.

Exactly, I can see the momma bear accidentally killing its cub trying to free it, I can see momma bear running into a wall or door trying to get out or free itself. But I cant see momma bear kill its cub, out of mercy to save it from the torture and then killing itself too. Its a believable story to the people who try to humanize animals, their thoughts and feelings though.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly, I can see the momma bear accidentally killing its cub trying to free it, I can see momma bear running into a wall or door trying to get out or free itself. But I cant see momma bear kill its cub, out of mercy to save it from the torture and then killing itself too. Its a believable story to the people who try to humanize animals, their thoughts and feelings though.
That's a good point there.

The momma bear could have simply been trying to pull the cub through the cage bars and accidentally killed it.
Humans would be the ones to witness it and humanize it through their own thoughts.

It's still a disgusting practice.

jarhead983

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been an avid hunter, fisherman and trapper most of my life and I believe that groups like HSUS and Peta are terrible groups that care more for the all mighty dollar than they do for animals, but with atrocities like this, I see how they recruit people. There is no call for torturing an animal, none.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a good point there.

The momma bear could have simply been trying to pull the cub through the cage bars and accidentally killed it.
Humans would be the ones to witness it and humanize it through their own thoughts.

It's still a disgusting practice.

The personification of animals in America is very rampant. I'm not saying it's wrong or bad, but it does cause some conflicts. It's their culture. Wonder how they sleep at night? Easy, it's a days work to them. Back in 2006 when there was a rabies outbreak, dogs were being taken from their owners on the street and being beat to death right there in front of them.

Okay story time. Back when I was a kid, I loved cats (despite being allergic to them) :grumble:. One time on vacation with my parents, we were staying in a hotel. I got to stay up late with my parents (Yay!) and we were watching a documentary on China. In it, they showed some of the food practices, one of which was taking cats and dipping them in boiling water while still alive so the fur comes off easier during slaughtering. I was horrified, but didn't really say anything about it. It took me years and years to understand that it's a culture thing. Just like I don't bat an eyelash when I bite into a hamburger, knowing that cow probably had it's skull punctured, they don't flinch with things like that.

True to the behavior of socialization, things like this can cause us to behave very hypocritically, if we aren't careful. Our success and freedoms (a strong function of resources per capita) have allowed this. We can pamper our pets and treat them in ways animals have never been treated before. Pet beds, pet hospitals, pet hotels, pet spas, pet health insurance. Ask a person in rural china, who makes dirt compared to most of us, if they are going to pay $1200 for an operation on a dog.

Anyway, I don't denounce treating pets well or anything of that nature, but we tend to forget cultures, societies, and resources can cause disparities in behavior like this.

My $0.02

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah no doubt they've constructed a nice emotional story around it. I agree that it wasn't a conscious effort to kill the cub and that she wanted the cub free at whatever cost. Running herself into a wall, same thing, free at whatever cost. Still, you've got to give the bear some "human" credit, she wanted to protect her offspring and she wanted to be free.

The idea of a beautiful majestic animal like that crushed in a box in some sort of metal body contraption so they can mine it for its bile on a daily basis for its entire life while keeping it in pain is absolutely hideous. Sure there are atrocities to go around, but killing an animal quickly is a whole world different from torturing it its entire life.

I've got no problem with humans using animals for the food and betterment of human kind, but this is pure evil.

Thanks,

Alan

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did some reading & it's not uncommon for bile extraction to cause blindness. Seems plausible a blind bear could kill a cub trying to wrestle it away from unseen restraints & then run into a wall at full tilt simply because it is trying to flee but can't see. The story could have played out exactly as it reads, but I agree that you're humanizing critters by saying it was a heroic effort to end the cub's suffering & then it's own. That being said, it's still cruelty without a legitimate purpose as they are more than capable of obtaining UDCA through more effective & sanitary methods.

Latest posts

Top Bottom