Another ND at a CCW class

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesensei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...r-shoots-student-022020100220,0,7681201.story

A gun instructor accidently shot a student in the foot Saturday during an NRA class to receive certification to carry a concealed weapon, Orlando police said.

Robert Frauman Jr., 50, was taken to Florida Hospital after instructor Michael Phillips' firearm discharged about 11:45 a.m., police said.

Phillips, 32, could not be reached for comment. The accident happened at Summit Church, located in a former movie theater near he Fashion Square mall.

The bullet went through a table before it hit Frauman, said Kristy-Lee Lawley, the church's communications director. She said Frauman, a member of the church, was "recovering well" and the bullet didn't break any bones.

Frauman was one of three students in the class, which was not a church-sponsored event, Lawley said. She said the church offered an upstairs conference room for free after some church members requested to have the class there. Lawley said the church is empty on Saturdays and this was the first class of its kind there.

"We won't be having anything like that in our church in the future," Lawley said.

The church with 2,500 members is headed by Pastor Isaac Hunter, son of the Rev. Joel Hunter, senior pastor of the Longwood-based megachurch Northland, A Church Distributed. The churches are not affiliated.

The NRA has a rule against bringing ammunition into a class, said Tom Wagner, a NRA instructor in Orlando who was not involved in Saturday's shooting. He said the association has "no problem yanking a certification if the rules are being broken."

This was not the first time something's gone wrong during a gun demonstration in Orlando. In 2004, a special agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration shot himself in the thigh with a .40-caliber Glock pistol while talking to schoolchildren about gun safety.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah you would think that instructor of all people would know to check, double check, and triple check if the gun was loaded before ever bringing it into a class where shooting wasn't involved.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 2004, a special agent with the Drug Enforcement Administration shot himself in the thigh with a .40-caliber Glock pistol while talking to schoolchildren about gun safety.

One of the more memorable youtube videos I had seen. I liked how the agent kept it going as a safety lecture the entire time. At least he didn't shoot someone else.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
"during an NRA class to receive certification to carry a concealed weapon" The NRA does not give Certification to carry a concealed weapon.

Many states except non-government sanctioned firearm training classes to get the CCL. The NRA basic pistol course is the most prevelent of these.

Colorado is another state that does this.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"during an NRA class to receive certification to carry a concealed weapon" The NRA does not give Certification to carry a concealed weapon.

Some states don't develop their own gun safety program and instead adopt the NRA's national handgun safety program. Florida happens to be one of those. Take the NRA class and get your state permit. This is why they are so easily able to offer non resident CCW permits, they don't have a state specific class.

The saddest part of this incident is this.
"We won't be having anything like that in our church in the future," Lawley said.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is exactly why I alsways go early and get all my stuff laid out. I triple check every firarm I'm going to use for demonstration before I put it on display. Then i chaeck all students for firearms when I meet them at the dorr and instruct them that they are to leave ANY ammo they have with them in their car until we go to the range. You can never be TOO careful.

The only "HOT" weapon in the classroom is my CCW snd it is never touched during a class. I pray it will never have to be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom