Another new Glock Owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

OzzieBlue

So I went to the gun show a few weeks ago. Not really planning to buy anything...just looking(well, that's what I told the wife!). Anyway, walked out with a new Gen 3 G22. First Glock I have owned. I'm looking at aftermarket upgrades and trying to decide what's useful and what's not. So far, I have determined that I definitely want to put in a steel guide rod. Probably not necessary, but make me feel a little better. I'm also looking at the Lonewolf 9mm replacement barrel and some G17 mags so I can save some money on practice rounds. Any opinions or thoughts you might want to share??

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For 3rd gen Glocks all you need for them is ammo. leave them as "stock" as you can. the only reason to replace the stock guide rod is if you like to play around with lower power ammo and need to change the spring rate often. If its going to be for defensive purposes put on better sights and leave it alone!
If you don't reload the 9mm conversion wouldn't be a bad idea just look at the price difference between 9mm & .40 S&w and figure how much you would need to shoot to break even.

O

OzzieBlue

Interesting! I thought the plastic part might be a potential failure point over time. Aside from cost, is there any reason not to use the steel guide rod? It just seems that the plastic part would be more subject to stress fatigue and cracking/breaking over time.

F16mickey

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I run the standard recoil spring in my Glock 17 I change them out at 5000 rounds just for insurance.
I currently have 12000 rounds though the 17 and the recoil spring has never failed.
Over the years I have found that if take a reliable weapon and start adding/replacing parts they tend to become unreliable!

O

OzzieBlue

Thanks for the feedback! Guess I'll just go with the stock guide rod for now (plus the lonewolf barrel/mags), and maybe I'll order a factory replacement guide rod as added insurance.