Another take on this Fast & Furious Business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They didn't. All they did was fail to follow up on known straw purchases. Nothing was "sent". Nothing was "actively" done. The ATF and DOJ weren't loading crates of AKs and ARs into trucks and driving them in to Mexico.

Not defending it at all...but let's not overstate what happened. Known straw purchases were made that the ATF knew were intended for the cartels. ATF let the purchases happen, and never did anything about it.

The ATF DIRECTED FFL's to complete the sales. That is a positive action, not passive. Plus, you completely ignored all the other evidence that doesn't support you head in the sand theory. :(

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ATF DIRECTED FFL's to complete the sales. That is a positive action, not passive. :(

That's still a world of difference between that and, "violate the soverignty of a foreign country, by sending a couple thousand "assault weapons" across the border in the hands of known drug cartel mules".

"Allow purchase" is not the same as "send across the border".

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's still a world of difference between that and, "violate the soverignty of a foreign country, by sending a couple thousand "assault weapons" across the border in the hands of known drug cartel mules".

"Allow purchase" is not the same as "send across the border".

Seriously? You think the ATF believed they were going to use those guns to stir their tea with? Fact: The cartels couldn't have bought the guns without ATF approval (they were goinbg to be denied by the dealers). Fact: ATF approved the sale. Fact: The guns WERE NOT TRACKED by ATF. Fact: It was illegal for the guns to be sold to straw purchasers. Fact: The ATF ignored that law. Fact: The guns were used to commit multiple murders.

FACT: ATF was actively involved in a criminal conspiracy that resulted in the murder of BP Agent Brian Terry and who knows how many people in a foreign country. Put that in your pipe and smoke it! :pokeowned

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to think this, but several things bother me. First, there's no way that a field level DoJ attorney or supervisory ATF agent in Phoenix decided that it was OK to violate the soverignty of a foreign country, by sending a couple thousand "assault weapons" across the border in the hands of known drug cartel mules. It would be career suicide to do such a thing. Another issue is that as an operation involving drug smuggling and gun trafficking, Fast and Furious was part of the internal Justice Department division known to insiders as "Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Force" (OCDETF). The division is so important within the Justice Department that all of its operations must be overseen and approved directly by the Attorney General, with overall oversight provided by the President of the United States.

Andrew McCarthy of National Review provides an in depth report on the manner in which OCDETF operates, the relevant point being that the administration's claim that the Fast and Furious scandal was a botched sting operation of local field agents out of the Phoenix office is completely ludicrous when viewed within the context of the OCDETF.

These operations are invariably conducted by what is known as "main Justice" in Washington at the highest levels of government.

Thus, there is no way in which Fast and Furious could have been conceived, planned, and implemented without the expressed knowledge and approval of the Attorney General in consultation with the President of the United States.

Don't forget the sister operation in Florida called Castaway.

Now, add the fact that the CIA and DEA were upset at the operation and wanted "deconfliction", which were rebuffed by ATF and FBI. When they went to the White House national Security Counsel with the issue, the response from Obama's golf buddy and alleged right hand man Denis McDonough was "butt out". There's still the issue of the "third gun" which went missing from the Brian Terry murder scene that points to the murder being carried out by paid FBI informants, not ATF.

As I've stated MANY times before, independent of each other, none of these issues points to a wider conspiracy. Taken collectively, they do. I've been hopeful, particularly after someone leaked the wiretap authorizations to Issa, that somewhere there's a whistleblower with a smoking gun. I hope they're waiting to drop that bomb when it will have maximum political effect on Holder & Obama. But, when I saw how thoroughly the Obama administration, with the help of key players in Congress, punked the GOP on Obamacare, bad. My faith is shaken that they were stupid enough to leave a smoking gun at all. A few whispered words from ear to ear is all it takes to have plausible deniability. Are they really stupid enough to leave emails and signed documents in their wake?

I'm not so sure. :(
Excellent analysis! Thanks for sharing your insights on this issue, GTG!
:)

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a Grand Canyon's worth of difference between that email, and there being some huge scheme to enact a new AWB or whatever boogeyman many US firearms owners seem to fear is behind the curtain.

There's no doubt that folks in the DOJ were being opportunistic, and that many would have gladly siezed the opportunitity to try and turn the situation into more gun control legislation. But that is an entirely different scenario than the whole operation being initiated for the sole purpose of creating new controls.
What else could it be initiated for? Tracking the trail of guns? There were no transmitters or other devices put on these guns to begin with. NO attempt was made to ever track these guns as they made their way across the border. So it can't be for that. , it is clear there was some purpose to it. What else could it have been? I can't think of anything else.
Esp. since the AG has said before that we need to brainwash people daily into being against guns. That's his core philosophy. And the POTUS's as well.
:)

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I concede that the bunch in Washington, DC are, most times, very much lacking in the common sense dept. and are also very arrogant/egotistical as well. Too me, the line dividing the actions that denote the lack of common sense and the actions that denote the desire to obtain absolute power/control is very blurred and almost indistinguishable. BUT DO NOT FORGET that the Community Organizer of the United States(COOTUS), Barack Obama, is a disciple of Saul Alinsky who said:

"In the beginning the organizer's first job is to create the issues or problems."

HackerF15E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Esp. since the AG has said before that we need to brainwash people daily into being against guns. That's his core philosophy. And the POTUS's as well.

That's something Holder said once....in 1995....15 years before he was the AG. It's a bit of a stretch to call that his "core philosophy".

Again, not defending either of their actions in any way, but it doesn't do anyone any good to amplify actual events and twist them into huge things that they just aren't. The way that people for firearms rights help further those rights is with logical, rational opinions that are derived through logically and rationally looking at the actual facts. To do otherwise, and cry wolf at every turn, is to make the general public deaf to the message as it will get lost in the rest of the self-serving political blowhard speech.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom