Any blacksmiths here? Spring steel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll put one on the drill press tomorrow and give it the test. I can also pretty much tell hardness by running on a grinder. The sparks are different for a redneck method.
actually not as redneck as you might think
Back in the 1950's several steel companies published literature on how to read the sparks.
Its a bit of an art, but was once an accepted industry technique for classifying material.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
actually not as redneck as you might think
Back in the 1950's several steel companies published literature on how to read the sparks.
Its a bit of an art, but was once an accepted industry technique for classifying material.
I called it redneck but learned how to read the sparks when working in a couple machine shops for around 20 years.
I did the test tonight. 60 Rockwell pocketknife scratched the mower blade, but a drill took a little effort to penetrate it.
Sparks were semi-light in color, not red.
I'm thinking hardness was around the mid 40's.
I do know the standard for a railroad spike is 46 Rockwell. Tested a few on some real testers. (I used to use the spikes to build food plot drags and was curious) Still have a bucket full and they redneck tested about the same.
Probably what is expected? Mower blades can't be a 60 or they would break on impact with rocks but need to be hard enough to endure some damage.
Too soft for a knife blade, so these and a few others go into the steel scrap.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I called it redneck but learned how to read the sparks when working in a couple machine shops for around 20 years.
I did the test tonight. 60 Rockwell pocketknife scratched the mower blade, but a drill took a little effort to penetrate it.
Sparks were semi-light in color, not red.
I'm thinking hardness was around the mid 40's.
I do know the standard for a railroad spike is 46 Rockwell. Tested a few on some real testers. (I used to use the spikes to build food plot drags and was curious) Still have a bucket full and they redneck tested about the same.
Probably what is expected? Mower blades can't be a 60 or they would break on impact with rocks but need to be hard enough to endure some damage.
Too soft for a knife blade, so these and a few others go into the steel scrap.
I'd be curious what a sickle mower section would test at.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Attachments

• 1725976765662.png
    1725976765662.png
    209 bytes · Views: 0

Latest posts

Top Bottom