Jumpstart from Dewalt battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok get the science of jump starting in your minds.

95% of the automotive rookies hook up the cables to a weak battery and then to another vehicle and start cranking right away.

Yea it can work like that if the cables are quality and large wire.

Many times you must allow the support battery stay hooked up for some time to allow some charge into the drained battery.

Now this dewalt deal staying hooked up for a little bit will probably give the drained battery enough to get the car cranking.

Yea car batteries are rated at 600+ cranking amps.
I have checked Amp draw on an automotive starter of old school engines and old school starters that
have way more friction than these new engines.
Never seen more than 225 cranking amps being drawn.

For my Nova I used a small light automotive battery a little 500 cca battery and it was a cheap walmart one.
Never any issues for the 11.9 compression 245 PSI cranking pressure SBC.

On another note many would say you can't use.

Cheap thin speaker wire that came with your cheap pioneer car speakers in the 1990's as jumper cable.

I did just that.
I swear that stuff had to be 22 gauge but it is what we had and I connected it to my 1979 LTD 400 motorcycle battery which was 12V 12 amp hour battery.
Left it hooked up for 15 minutes on my buddies Gremlin 6 cylinder and it charged his battery enough to allow it to start.
I pulled the wires off the batteries after the 15 minutes

I tried to pull start that car with my motorcycle and that absolutely did not work out.
Need more bike for a stunt like that.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a way better option.

Those tiny paperclip wires going into the contact slots of the Dewalt battery aren't going to flow enough current to do much, they will try though...

Dewalt battery connection --->>> :flamed:<<<----Car battery
I have one of these. Different brand but same product basically. It will run my fridge for a few hours in the event of a power outage.

1726688986924.png

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a battery charger technique that I bet I am the only one here that has done it.

Dead battery on my car the year it happened was 1993.
No battery charger no other battery.
But I had a 1/2" Black and Decker drill and nuts and bolts and washers and some (many ) car parts laying around.

I fashioned a pulley with a shaft on it to chuck up in the drill and spin my alternator belt to charge my battery.
It worked and worked very well.

One thing I hear often is why don't they put alternators on these Electric Vehicles to charge them.

The strain it put on that 1/2" drill with 1 measly 12 volt battery was astonishing.
2 hands on the drill and you could almost smell it smoking the guts out of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom