Any Enfield gurus in the house?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For many years I have thought that Enfield jungle carbines were really cool. I came across the gun in the photos and had to have it. The action and barrel seem to be original, at least they have the lightening cuts. I think the buttstock is original. I have no idea if the detachable magazine is original or after market gunsmithing. It’s missing the correct rear sight, and has had the replacement rear sight added. I’m not dry knowledgeable about Enfields. Can anyone here provide any insight on what exactly I have?

Attachments

• IMG_0828.jpeg
    IMG_0828.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0829.jpeg
    IMG_0829.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0830.jpeg
    IMG_0830.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0831.jpeg
    IMG_0831.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

glassparman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Magazines are the same as the No 4 Mk1 but yours look original. The rear sights come up on eBay from time to time. Missing the hand guard as well.

Too bad someone etched their name in it. The original name and serial was electro penciled in about the same area. You can see it under "Hood".

Not a total loss though.

Get your parts and go shooting!

glassparman

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The reproductions don't have the lightening cuts in them as that would be too expensive. I see now where someone drilled and tapped for a scope and added that ugly rear sight.

Still, a good smith could fill those holes.

I'm a stickler for originality and I would work it back to its former glory.

But if you like it, go shoot it! Or sell it to me, I need another! :)

I love Enfields and have one of each type except the Savage Lend Lease.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your receiver, barrel, bolt handle, and trigger guard have the correct no5 cuts. The stock was most likely cut down no5 but I can't tell from the pictures. The receiver should say No5 and have a 1945 date but I can't see it. You rear sight should be for 800m if you still had it.

I bought a sporterized no5 just like it years back and tried to return it to original. Numrich used to have repro front sight bases and buttplates/pads. I made my replacement furniture out of No4 wood. Liberty tree has a few original parts as well.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=128

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Your receiver, barrel, bolt handle, and trigger guard have the correct no5 cuts. The stock was most likely cut down no5 but I can't tell from the pictures. The receiver should say No5 and have a 1945 date but I can't see it. You rear sight should be for 800m if you still had it.

I bought a sporterized no5 just like it years back and tried to return it to original. Numrich used to have repro front sight bases and buttplates/pads. I made my replacement furniture out of No4 wood. Liberty tree has a few original parts as well.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewcategories.asp?idCategory=128
You can also often come across parts at Apex Gun Parts

Latest posts

Top Bottom