Any Garand guys out there?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Garand, where do I find a deal on ammo?

You can occasionally find "Garand Safe" loads from Federal, Remington, Hornady, etc. - it'll be printed on the outside of the box. But it seems like they only make a run once a year or so, making it hit and miss on finding any at any particular time. I've seen it at Academy on a number of occasions, but rarely anywhere else.

CMP is good for surplus ammo if you meet the membership qualifications, but prices have gone up there as well.

.30-06 M2 Ball Greek HXP 200 RDS LOOSE IN .30 CAL CAN - $136 shipped.
M2 Ball, .30-06, Greek HXP 192 RDS PER SPAM CN - $115 shipped.

Both attract magnets if that's a concern

dualsportrider66

Marksman
Reaction score
You can occasionally find "Garand Safe" loads from Federal, Remington, Hornady, etc. - it'll be printed on the outside of the box. But it seems like they only make a run once a year or so, making it hit and miss on finding any at any particular time. I've seen it at Academy on a number of occasions, but rarely anywhere else.

CMP is good for surplus ammo if you meet the membership qualifications, but prices have gone up there as well.

.30-06 M2 Ball Greek HXP 200 RDS LOOSE IN .30 CAL CAN - $136 shipped.
M2 Ball, .30-06, Greek HXP 192 RDS PER SPAM CN - $115 shipped.

Both attract magnets if that's a concern
As for CMP ammo you've gotta fax them or email proof of citizenship as with a state ID. Not too hard to do and well worth it for that sweet, sweet HXP surplus.

ko4nrbs

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had two M1 rifles and still have one of them. I've never shot anything out of them but my handloads. Never a problem noted after hundreds of rounds.

I bought a set of gauges to check gas cylinders for out of spec problems. They work well and save you a lot of headaches.

Also do some research on the CMP Forums. Those guys are the go to for information on M1 rifles.
M1 Garand - CMP Forums

Gauges
http://www.amazon.com/GARAND-GAS-CYLINDER-GAUGE-SET/dp/B00C7H0HI4

Bill
Claremore, OK

Latest posts

Top Bottom