Any Kohler generator people on here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe my controller has failed. It's a DC2, part number GM84963. The generator is a 20RESAL.

The controller is dark and acts like it has no power.

I seem to be getting the runaround from Kohler about the warranty. They have a 5'year warranty and it has been in service around 2 years. A replacement controller lists for in excess of $1,100.

Can anyone provide som guidance on testing the controller or finding a replacement?

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Kohler camponents, Briggs camponents, all made in Taiwan!

Hit it with a hammer.
Just kidding.

Do you have a manual? Also, do you have a basic knowledge of electronics testing? You will need a multimeter and most likely the schematics for the controller. It very well could be a fuse, these devices are usually fused to protect the components. I would start there and check to make sure the controller has power. I am not a generator mechanic, so I can't tell you if it is 12 volt, 24 volt (like home hvac), or 120. Does the unit has a start battery? I would assume so with an electronic control unit.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I do have all the manuals and have researched some basics. There is no fuse inline for the controller. It is directly connected to the battery. I have tested the battery and it reads 12.5 volts with the charger unplugged and 14.6 volts with the onboard battery charger plugged in. The weird thing is, based on the wiring diagram, the charger is operated through the controller.

There is very little online information available. The only reference I could find related to a bad dc2 controller was on a Kohler blog site and it was a bad controller with similar symptoms as mine.

http://blog.kohlergenerators.com/faq/

Kohler camponents, Briggs camponents, all made in Taiwan!

Hit it with a hammer.
Just kidding.

Do you have a manual? Also, do you have a basic knowledge of electronics testing? You will need a multimeter and most likely the schematics for the controller. It very well could be a fuse, these devices are usually fused to protect the components. I would start there and check to make sure the controller has power. I am not a generator mechanic, so I can't tell you if it is 12 volt, 24 volt (like home hvac), or 120. Does the unit has a start battery? I would assume so with an electronic control unit.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes there are small fuses on the board itself. Might be a long shot. Sounds like you may just have a dead controller, which obviously sucks.

If you can't get anywhere with Kohler through their tech line, you should blow up their twitter feed. You would be amazed at how fast they respond sometimes. I have used that several times and got everything taken care of quickly.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes there are small fuses on the board itself. Might be a long shot. Sounds like you may just have a dead controller, which obviously sucks.

If you can't get anywhere with Kohler through their tech line, you should blow up their twitter feed. You would be amazed at how fast they respond sometimes. I have used that several times and got everything taken care of quickly.

I am far from being any kind of electrician so you might be able to see something I don't. Here's a look at the controller main logic board.

image.jpg

I will try the Twitter route in a couple days if I fail to come to an appropriate resolution.
Thanks for the help!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slugslinger, I may not be a kohler generator mechanic, but I have 4 years experience working on military generator sets and have also worked on civilian backup generac sets when I worked as an electrician.

Who installed the generator? You say you have had it for 2 years... Did you have a Kohler certified technician come out for the first startup? If you did not, that can void your 5 year warranty.
Have you checked the 120v signal line coming FROM your house/the breaker that circuit should be attached to? A lot of backup generators (and the kohler model you have im sure) require a 120v wire to charge the batteries and power the controller. No power equals no batteries and no controller.

Let me know how that goes! I wish I could offer more, good luck.

If I were closer I would offer to swing by and have a looksee, but I'm not. That and residential generators aren't my strong suit.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've checked the basics. There is power getting to the controller. The onboard battery charger appears to be working properly as it is supply over 14 volts to the battery, and it is managed through the controller. The lcd screen on the controller is dark and the function buttons do not work, but the battery is charging. From my elementary knowledge, it appears something is wrong internally with the controller.

Slugslinger, I may not be a kohler generator mechanic, but I have 4 years experience working on military generator sets and have also worked on civilian backup generac sets when I worked as an electrician.

Who installed the generator? You say you have had it for 2 years... Did you have a Kohler certified technician come out for the first startup? If you did not, that can void your 5 year warranty.
Have you checked the 120v signal line coming FROM your house/the breaker that circuit should be attached to? A lot of backup generators (and the kohler model you have im sure) require a 120v wire to charge the batteries and power the controller. No power equals no batteries and no controller.

Let me know how that goes! I wish I could offer more, good luck.

If I were closer I would offer to swing by and have a looksee, but I'm not. That and residential generators aren't my strong suit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom