Any Kohler generator people on here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another thing, this is a Lowes unit, the RESAL unit is the de-featurized model sold by Lowes. I would talk to your local store manager about it. Because you bought it from them (I would assume), it reflects poorly on Lowes as well as Kohler. I had a 2-yr old dishwasher that failed and had a 5-year warranty, but the company discontinued their 5-yr warranty and replaced it with a 1-yr and would not honor the 5-yrs I had when I bought it. Lowes stepped up and made it right. Didn't get the full value, but it was a hell of a lot better than kicking the dirt.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've checked the basics. There is power getting to the controller. The onboard battery charger appears to be working properly as it is supply over 14 volts to the battery, and it is managed through the controller. The lcd screen on the controller is dark and the function buttons do not work, but the battery is charging. From my elementary knowledge, it appears something is wrong internally with the controller.

Sounds about right to me. Like 71 Buick said. Go check with lowes. Not some shmuck at the counter. As high of a person as you can muscle your way to.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are places that repair the controllers. A quick search found these people

http://www.generatorpanels.com/kohler.asp

I've checked the basics. There is power getting to the controller. The onboard battery charger appears to be working properly as it is supply over 14 volts to the battery, and it is managed through the controller. The lcd screen on the controller is dark and the function buttons do not work, but the battery is charging. From my elementary knowledge, it appears something is wrong internally with the controller.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found that place doing the research. They didn't list my part number so it dropped off my radar. I may send it to them depending on how the warranty thing works out. I'm still working with Kohler and spoke to Commercial Power Solutions who I will likely have do the replacement if I can get the generator covered under warranty. The warranty situation is looking hopeful after speaking with the folks at Kohler live instead of email.

There are places that repair the controllers. A quick search found these people

http://www.generatorpanels.com/kohler.asp

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I contacted Commercial Power Solutions front the site. Ron was very informative. This controller has been upgraded and the replacement can't be manufactured fast enough and is on back order locally.

I wonder if I could put an inline fuse on the 12 volt power side of the controller. The controller power feed comes from the battery, but it controls 120 volt output from the controller as well.

Do you think it was a 12volt surge that killed the controller or backfeed from the 120 volt connection?

If I could do something as simple as a fuse to stop this from happening again, I will.

Probably fried from nearby lightening strike...still send it back for warranty.
Contact one of the Kohler dealers listed here; http://www.kohlergenerators.com/sales-service/find-a-dealer#address=owasso,+OK&filter=Service&proximity=R50

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is possible that a surge killed it, electronics can be very sensitive. Some are, some are not. Did you get the RDC20 controller? That is the non-lowes version.

I am not sure what controller I will be getting. There has been multiple upgrades in the last 2 years. The differentiating factor on what parts I need is determined by the color on the back side of the controller. Green, you need a "kit", red you don't need a kit. Of course, mine was green and if I had to pay for it, would be an additional $280 for the kit.

The original part number is GM77567 - P
The replacement part numbers are:
GM92090 for the controller
GM95104 for the kit

There is very little technical data online, but the kit description reads: Conversion to RDC2 to v2 Breaker/Fuel Relay.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got an email from Kohler. My generator has been registered in their warranty system. And they apologized for the delay. That just saved me about $1,300 for parts and no telling how much in labor and the service call.

Kohler does have an impressive customer service ideology.

Latest posts

Top Bottom