Living in HOA's is so much fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight, never lived in a HOA, but this video was in my youtube recommendations and I like the Hodge twins, so here ya go.

One more reason I could never live in a HOA. We have a development around the lake with an HOA having the same garage door rules. Plus, you can't park a pickup outside. It has to be in the garage along with a plethora of other "rules".
I get the wanting to preserve the property values against someone that would trash out theirs next door, but I couldn't live under that thumb.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more reason I could never live in a HOA. We have a development around the lake with an HOA having the same garage door rules. Plus, you can't park a pickup outside. It has to be in the garage along with a plethora of other "rules".
I get the wanting to preserve the property values against someone that would trash out theirs next door, but I couldn't live under that thumb.

One has to check to see what the HOA rules are. Years ago, we were looking to buy a home closer to Mustang and checked out a home in one neighborhood south of the river between Mustang and Tuttle. The neighbor checked his HOA rules and it stated that to park an RV on the property, it had to be in a separate building that matched the architecture of the home.

We checked a neighborhood just north of that one, and their only requirement on parking an RV was that it had to be behind the front "leading" corner of the house. That's where we bought and live there until we moved into our RV full time.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have an HOA? You probably knew it when you bought the home... didn't like nor dislike my HOA in Yukon, even though they had issues. 30% of the homes had been snapped up by property management firms out of the state and even out of the country, many didn't pay dues. HOA president spoke at one event and said problem with unkempt homes were PMC's and crazy homeowners who would ignore requests or threaten him. This was in 2015 on up when I started going to meetings. My current HOA since October of 2020 carries much, much more weight. They have an Architectural Officer and do talk to homeowners who do not keep after trees, bushes lawn and their homes in general. They are involved, however my dues are far more expensive. I like the HOA, but not thrilled about the dues. I like the common areas that are kept up and the walls and gates that surround my neighborhood. Kids causing issues (like a stop sign theft last year) are dealt with. Cars are kept off the street which is nice as well. I and my wife believe when or if we sell our home we will have made money. First time I have liked most of my neighbors. The others I have no issue with, just haven't met.

Only things I don't like, I cannot build a huge trebuchet, catapult or 75 ft radio astronomy dish that would be visible from the street, I can't paint my house dayglow orange. I have to clear property additions/subtractions with them. If you have an HOA, attend meetings, be active. Your house is a huge investment and reliant on the entire community to maintain it's value. HOA's can help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom