Any plumbers on board?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As per this schematic re outdoor faucet:

freezeproof_faucet_OverLg.jpg

Are all such faucets constructed like this, viz. the faucet screws into an adapter?

I had a plumber tell me that to replace my faucet, I would have to do so from inside the house. I.e., tear off sheetrock, etc. I assumed he was saying that because he assumed the faucet was sweated onto the supply line.
No they are. It all constructed like that, houses in the 50’s has that threaded system. Today they are mostly soldered all the way

R D Harmon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had to cut an access hole in the sheetrock, I cut it so smooth the piece I cut out fit back in the hole and it is hard to tell there is an inspection port there. That said, be sure to point the new faucet downward just a little to let all water flow out when turned off.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do about 40 per year (few hundred over the years). Only cut rock for 3 or 4 per year. Depends on how the silcock was anchored. If sweat on, your cutting rock, and you can't tell until it's screwed up. Twisted the pipe out of the floor once, ouch (some dumbass had a joint just below grade).
I always give the homeowner the option of cut it and make sure or "we'll find out". Most want to give it try, obviously.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ours is pure soldered.
We have lost two outside hose bibs to major freezes not being insulated within the walls which is amazing because the rest of the house is highly insulated..
Both had to have the sheet rock cut and a port put in which I did.
Did it nicely with some stained wood and trim. The leak was below the concrete which was odd, so used the air hammer to remove the concrete, and soldered in new screw in fittings with proper support to allow unscrewing with the anticipation of future repairs.
Tried to take pics of the port, but it's behind a chest of drawers and didn't happen.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also, if you don't cut the access hole, use pipe dope instead of teflon tape. You don't have to worry if the tape wadded up before screwing in.

Good luck!

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are getting my mother's house ready to put on the market, and I have to go over today and replace a faucet. It is all sweated fittings and I'm pretty sure I'm going to bump the drain pipe and cause it to start leaking. Not to mention the possibility of not getting a good seal sweating a shut off valve onto the pipe.

Not looking forward to it.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, if you don't cut the access hole, use pipe dope instead of teflon tape. You don't have to worry if the tape wadded up before screwing in.

Good luck!

Thanks. I went ahead and replaced the washer but will likely be replacing the faucet at some point. I'll hire a plumber to do the plumbing, but will cut the sheetrock/install an access panel myself.

Thanks for the responses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom