Any RC enthusiasts here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to be into the nitro heli's. Had a 50-sized thundertiger raptor V2. Used to fly at the TORKS field at Lake hefner. Had about $1200 invested in that thing. Got into firearms as a cheaper hobby, lol. I'll say it's tremendous fun. The Oklahoma radio kontrol society used to have a heli fun-fly once a year and would draw some real masters of 3D heli aerobatics.

Eflite coaxials are a lot of fun. Remember that a coaxial chopper is only good for indoors and windless days. Even a slight breeze will make-em drift. For oklahoma winds, you need a mid - large size collective heli with a good gyro. Trex 500 or Century swift 6 for an electric, Thunder Tiger raptor 50 or Knight 50 for a nitro bird.

If you start getting serious about rcheli's, pick up the Realflight flight sim. It comes with a USB controller that looks just like a 6-channel transmitter. You can practice all you want, and crashes cost nothing.

I just coulnd't afford it. Crash a nitro heli like I was flying, and at the very least your replacing $85 carbon fiber blades and another $50 for new spindle shaft, padles, and clutch.

Eflite heli like the coaxial your looking at, however, have fairly cheap replacement parts. They're usually g2g out of the box. You may later want to upgrade the gyro for better lock-in of the tail.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Septic Shock.....I am really having fun with this lil heli...a lot of the lil micro 4 channel birds all have gyros now, so this thing is uber stable, I can get it in a hover and set the controller down and that baby will just sit in one spot. I don't plan on taking it outside, once i'm more comfortable, I'll move into a version with controlable pitch...that will be fun.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good to hear! That's what makes the coaxial helix great, their stability! Get some of those green plastic army men, fishing line, make a hook, and do some "sea rescues"!

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive done the plane thing,car thing and little helis. I worked my way up to 1/3 scale 100cc planes and wow they cost as much to mess with as full scale. I still have a 1/4 scale PT-19 and a Four Star 120 for the kids to train with but the rest are gone. Oh I do have a awesome 1/4 GeeBee Y built from plans. Its a museum piece. It has flown but is older and needs a restoration now. I still have a Brison 3.2ci motor for it or a 4.2ci Sachs. Maybe this winter. I also bought me and one of the kids a Slash rc truck to race but before I really got into it I decided it cost to much for 2 or us to race every weekend and its on south side of OKC and Im way north. Sooo all I do now is play with the coaxial heli I got the 9 year old alittle and fly the PT-19 from time to time. I just have way to much other stuff to spend my time and money on now. Trying to get the real plane I have flyable again and Still have the 1957 Chevy Im slowly getting more and more parts for. So for now rc is back seat. My hobbies always go in and out but never go away.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have flown RC planes on and off for about 16 years. I have started flying againin the last 2 months after less than a year break. I have a Sonic 25 and an Ultra Stick 40 along with some others. Have always wanted to get a F-4U Corsair.

About 6 years ago I had started to learn to fly heli's. I had a Hirobo Shuttle to start and then bought a Sceadu, was just getting into doing nose in hovering and autos when I dumb thumbed an auto and crashed. I rebuilt it and sold it because I had just had a daughter and at the time I knew I wouldn't have alot of time and moreso money to put into it. But earlier this month I bought a new heli. It's a 50 size heli made by JS Models called a 3D Frenzy. It's sold mainly by www.amainhobbies.com, it's a Japanese model with little support other than Amain and a couple other places online. But what got me was the price of the heli and the price of replacement parts. The heli itself is only $150. But the price of the other stuff will still put it way up there, but I was able to save a good amount of money by breaking up orders and using coupons. It went together really well and was mostly put together, although I tore most of it back down and locktited on everything. And it flies really well. I hadn't flown for over 6 years and pretty much picked up where I left. I have moved into forward flight a little and will get back into nose-in hovering soon.

A simulator is something that will really help you out. IIRC I happen to see someone selling a Realflight G5 simulator on craigslist for $130 which is $70 off, just make sure it is unregistered or have the own de-register it which should be an automatic process to save you from having to call them up to do it. Otherwise Towerhobbies has it for $199 plus whatever coupon they are running at the time (right now it's $20 off $139). PM for the current Super Saving club coupons. You have to pay like 9.99 or 14.99 for a year of the club but it's well worth it if you order enough. For example the simulator above I have a coupon for $35 off 200 and you get free shipping over $150 orders.

You might also look into the Helimax 400 3D they have a RTF version for $359 on tower right now, all you need is a LiPo battery which is somewhat expensive about $45, and then also a special charger but they have a very basic one pretty much just for that size battery which is $20. This is a collective pitch helicopter so will be more like flying the bigger helis. My understanding though is the smaller the helicopter the more squirelly it can be, the bigger ones if toned down with the servo throws are more stable especially in the wind.

Otherwise if you want a B&M place the Hobby Shop off of I-240/Penn has a fair amount of helicopter stuff, seem to mostly be Align. There is also an airfield just north and then west off a side street from SW 15/Macarthur. I have been by there but it was closed but from my understanding talking to the guy at the above shop that it is mostly a helicopter flying field. If you are into airplanes there is Mikes Models off Nw 10/May and Realm Hobbies in Moore off Tower/19th.

I'm by no means an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and if you want any help or anything let me know. Even let ya try my simulator out if you want.

1911 MQB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a few photos of mine: The coaxial heli's are a whole different world from these. I definetely recommend a simulator before trying one of these. Crashing on a simulator is cheap!

ai255.photobucket.com_albums_hh132_1911MQB_mike_s_raptor_018.jpg

ai255.photobucket.com_albums_hh132_1911MQB_mike_s_raptor_023.jpg

ai255.photobucket.com_albums_hh132_1911MQB_mike_s_raptor_026.jpg

ai255.photobucket.com_albums_hh132_1911MQB_mike_s_raptor_001.jpg

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a few photos of mine: The coaxial heli's are a whole different world from these. I definetely recommend a simulator before trying one of these. Crashing on a simulator is cheap!

Are those Remove Before Flight flags some kind of plug for the mufflers to keep the oil from dripping or is it a key to a Fromeco Arizona regulator? Have been thinking going to that or maybe an Align 2 in 1.

Latest posts

Top Bottom