Any reasons to choose a 16 inch vs 18 inch barrel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear a lot of talk about which barrel length is better, i.e., to wit, e.g., in lieu, 16 inch vs 18 inch. I would like some feedback from my fellow shooters who can shed light on this issue. Primary POU is dedicating a variable magnification scope on an Ar-15 for beyond 200 yards. I am looking at adding one of the these types of rifles to my collection. Please tell me your thoughts on barrel length and gas system. I am looking at spending under 1700.00 for the rifle. Thanks in advance.

jc5420

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either barrel length will get you well past 200y. 18" barrel gives you a little more velocity and depending on mid / rifle length gas you will have a smoother running rifle as well. 16" mid length or 18" rifle length are the better choices for both barrels IMO. Really if I were going to do an 18" barrel I would almost rather go ahead and get a 20" for even more velocity. Thats just me, I have always ran with 16" or less and 24" for my varmint / predator rigs.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks ASP785, I read the thread. A larger caliber would be great, but cost wise, not so much. I was just trying to see if there is a significant difference in the 16 vs 18. Currently I am leaning towards the 16.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Either barrel length will get you well past 200y. 18" barrel gives you a little more velocity and depending on mid / rifle length gas you will have a smoother running rifle as well. 16" mid length or 18" rifle length are the better choices for both barrels IMO. Really if I were going to do an 18" barrel I would almost rather go ahead and get a 20" for even more velocity. Thats just me, I have always ran with 16" or less and 24" for my varmint / predator rigs.
That makes sense if 18" why not 20" gotta consider that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom