Beretta PX4 9mm vs Glock Range Report, Part 3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sold!! I need one. Though I'm not sure what my classic Berettas will think of a new plastic pistol moving into the safe.
Rob

They will probably be cranky about it, but who is the man who controls the safe? You. They'll just have to deal with it!

I put another 50 rounds through the PX4 today with one of the 20 round magazines. Worked beautifully. The more I shoot this gun, the more I like it. I really have to wonder how nice the 40S&W and 45ACP versions are.

Thanks,

Alan

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Recoil is such a subjective thing. You really aren’t going to get around the laws of physics, but you can certainly change how it feels. Consider a revolver for a second, all that recoil goes to the shooter immediately. With an automatic, the recoil goes to the barrel/slide first, then the slide moves rearward at a specific rate, then the slide usually stops at its most rearward travel where any remaining energy is transferred to the shooter. This could turn into a heavier spring / lighter spring debate, but my take on it is this: Competition shooters like lighter recoil springs because it increases slide speed. I also think they are so used to recoil that they don’t care about the slide slamming into its most rearward travel and hitting them with the recoil all at once. They also tend to shoot lighter loads which make this easier. With a heavier load like a 9mm +P or 40S&W, I can tell you that I much prefer a heavier spring that soaks up a little more energy before the slide goes to its most rearward position. When people say the recoil is so much more comfortable on this pistol or that pistol I often wonder if it has a heavier slide or a heavier spring and that it the whole difference in addition to the bore axis. The PX4 has a low bore axis light the Glock."

A lighter spring allows the slide to cycle faster and creates far less muzzle flip.
The heavier spring will cause more force to be overcome and twist your muzzle skyward.
That's what it's all about.

I keep reading that Glocks are "Undersprung" but in my experience,most are OVERSPRUNG.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Ideally there would be a balance. If it's too loose, the slide whacks into the stops of the frame and batters the frame and wrist. If it's too tough, it does just what you said. You would want the spring to stop the slide just as it reaches maximum travel.

OkieZombies

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not to necro this thread but uh.... where do you buy the slim controls? I've looked online and can't find anything.

I think the PX4 would compete with my Glock 17 for Most Favored status if I could get the slim safeties and convert it to de-cock only.

Latest posts

Top Bottom