1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Any Welder Mechanic recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gearheads' started by Roy14, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Roy14

Roy14 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%

I’m glad you told me, I came close to ordering a $400 reel set. Too bad, I’ve always thought they’d make things easy.

2. Selzerwelding

Selzerwelding Hog hunter

Supporter
    I wish I could say they did but I'd hate to see anyone burn up $700 plus in new welding leads. Not sure what sector of the welding industry your getting into but I wish you the best of luck its pretty slow on the oilfield/pipeline side of things but it looks like it might start picking back up in the next few months.

Roy14 likes this.
  3. Roy14

Roy14 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I’ll mainly just be finishing up projects for myself around the farm, and might build some fence locally. I’ve got friends who make their money on the row and chasing that isn’t the life for me. But I do prefer to have good equipment, and it doesn’t hurt to be able to market that equipment to professionals instead of hobbyists and farmers, if I ever do decide to upgrade. It’s hard to find any pipe now that isn’t rusted and magnetized and I never could get a Ranger to run hot enough to weld it well. I think this will handle it in 3rd gear with ease.

I’m going to pick up a set of 2/0 ultra flex if I can find it for less than $4/ ft because my old leads have seen better days. I’d have croaked if those got ruined on a reel.

4. _CY_

_CY_ Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    everyone does cables a bit different. I'm in town where copper cables grow legs.
    combined with need to supply cables for several different types of welders.

my fav are short leads with quick disconnects attached to each welder.
    then put together a modular set of cables to suit. below are stock pic's kinda cheating but easier than taking pic's of mine. :D

https://weldfabulous.com/1-0-welding-cable-lead-1-foot-long-positive-connnector/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Roy14 likes this.
  5. Roy14

Roy14 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The QC ends are the best thing since auto dark hoods (welding version of sliced bread!)

6. PanhandleGlocker

PanhandleGlocker Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That machine won’t put out enough amps to melt your leads, especially if you get that good orange flex whip lead. Love that stuff. Both My welding trucks had home made reels on it and I was running a 300 amp machine. Never had an issue.

if you need a good stinger, I use a Stinger V. Now THAT is the best thing since auto dark lenses.

Roy14 likes this.