Pressure Washer Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Craftsman 3000 psi horizontal pump pressure washer with a problem, if anyone has advice. The model is CMXGWAS020790 and this link might get you to the owners manual if you need more information.

https://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=ngjxCHV_p9ZVj5K1w

So it hasn't been started since late summer or fall of last year. It was working fine, and I squirted the foam stuff that is supposed to keep it from freezing up through the pump last time I used it.

I went to use it today, had the water hose connected and turned on, and air purged out. I removed the oil cap and liquid gushed out that looked like water and oil. Gushed out as in it took a couple or three seconds to get down to the level of the oil fill opening.

I did not at any time attempt to start it, I shut the water off and disconnected the hoses, etc.

So I'm thinking it has to be a bad seal somewhere on the pump, correct? I haven't taken it apart yet, so I guess it could be a cracked pump but it "shouldn't" have frozen up.

I drained the oil, put a half quart of fresh oil in it (all I had) and pulled the cord about 10 times in hopes of coating cylinder walls etc. with fresh oil. But DID NOT start it. Is there anything else I need to do to prevent engine damage? I'll probably know more about what is actually broken when I get around to taking it apart, but right now there's spring football on, and I'm worn out from yard work. :pms2:

Advice appreciated.

TwoShoots

Marksman
Reaction score
I've picked up some that people threw away in the same condition. In the future, run antifreze through it instead of foam stuff. For now, see what you have, it could just be leakdown past a weak seal, but otherwise it can run fine.
I usually dump the water/oil mix out, refill with oil, run it through about 10 minutes of spraying, and check it again. Still water in it? Dump it and refill again. If it's still showing a lot of water after those two dumps it's time for a new one. Buying an engine or pump is often just as expensive as the whole thing anyway.

Latest posts

Top Bottom