Anybody Got A Soda Stream?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only when I drink too much Docta Peppa.

:)

I've looked at them, but they don't appear to be very cost effective. They'd like you to think that but do the math and you'll see the reality.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was also looking into regular commercial soda setups and just piping off of the co2 that I have for a kegorator anyway. The issue there is you need a cold plate or some kind of ice setup and a carbonator to actually make the bubbles. After all of that cost, the syrup ends up being pretty cheap and you can mimick Quiktrip and McDonalds type costs. AND you can use actual Coca-Cola and name brand syrups.

With Soda Stream, after your setup costs and recurring carbonator refill costs, you pay about $5 + S&H for the generic "cola" syrup and that yeilds around 12 liters or 33 cans. It doesn't work out to be cost effective IMHO. It's fun and a nice little novelty, but if you're looking to save money then you're going to be disappointed. Plus you'll probably start drinking enough soda to plump up about 50 pounds right quick.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts on it. If you get one, post a review or something so we can get some first hand details of how it goes.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HFMIC,

A lot of the stores, Kohls, BB&B, Target, etc. are carrying the supplies these days, so it's not really an issue. I agree that being locked into mail order would not interest me.

What does interest me is that a serving only has 35 calories vs. 170 for Coke and 110 for Pepsi. That alone is worth a look if it tastes at least somewhat decent.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HFMIC,

A lot of the stores, Kohls, BB&B, Target, etc. are carrying the supplies these days, so it's not really an issue. I agree that being locked into mail order would not interest me.

What does interest me is that a serving only has 35 calories vs. 170 for Coke and 110 for Pepsi. That alone is worth a look if it tastes at least somewhat decent.

Oh wow, I didn't know that. How do they manage that? Is it one of those fake sugar based things?

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk you out of it at all. Just trying to offer the things I found out that made it not so attractive to me. That and I really need to get off soda again for good. I find myself slipping sometimes and drinking more than one a day and it's really not so good for ya.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh wow, I didn't know that. How do they manage that? Is it one of those fake sugar based things?

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk you out of it at all. Just trying to offer the things I found out that made it not so attractive to me. That and I really need to get off soda again for good. I find myself slipping sometimes and drinking more than one a day and it's really not so good for ya.

The regular mixes have some sugar but are made with Splenda. Then they have the "all natural versions" which are all sugar (no HFCS) and have 110 calories per serving. So it seems that the regulars are a "sweetened up" diet and the naturals are like the old school syrups.

Latest posts

Top Bottom