Anybody hunt Pushmataha WMA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jlingle

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m gonna go in with my oldest son and camp, and hunt push in a few weeks. Does anybody have any pointers of the type of terrain or areas to focus on? We’re western Oklahoma flatlanders and we’ll be spending just a short time in that beautiful eastern country burning work vacation time. Any help would be most appreciated. I’ll be toting the trad bow and my son will be on a compound.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last time I went I had a guy walk right under me (I was in a tree) and sat down not a hundred yards from me. Saw nothing. I was in place hour and half before daylight, the sucker came in probably 15 minutes after light. Next day about 30 minutes after daylight a truck came driving thru the weeds ( nearest road was quarter mile from me) about a hundred yards away, they were hollering for someone and making all kinds of racket. No luck that trip. Next weekend I hunted my folks place right across the river and got a nice 8 point buck.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last time I went I had a guy walk right under me (I was in a tree) and sat down not a hundred yards from me. Saw nothing. I was in place hour and half before daylight, the sucker came in probably 15 minutes after light. Next day about 30 minutes after daylight a truck came driving thru the weeds ( nearest road was quarter mile from me) about a hundred yards away, they were hollering for someone and making all kinds of racket. No luck that trip. Next weekend I hunted my folks place right across the river and got a nice 8 point buck.
I’ve heard similar stories multiple times, and that’s why I wouldn’t do well hunting public land. My Uncle and some buddies have a long standing annual tradition of camping out and hunting a BIG public tract here in east TX on opening weekend, and he’s told some crazy stories over the years of stupid crap people have done. He invites me every year, but I don’t even hunt the private land I have access to here anymore and am sure not going to submit myself to other people’s dumbassery on purpose.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That is the very thing that keeps me off public land, and I really want to hunt.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never been there, but I’ve hunted East of there and did a bunch of working near Clayton at the windmill farm. Beautiful area. If it’s anything like the honobia/three rivers area down the road near cloudy, the roads are hell and cell reception is nonexistent. I’ve heard that during deer season that area turns into a suburb of Dallas, and judging from the trash left behind in camping areas I would say that’s pretty accurate. You have a ton of land to pick from to hunt though, which is nice. Also, on the way there/on the way back you could swing by atoka, there’s 3 WMAs all touching each other with tons of acreage to explore. Archery only, good fishing too. I’ve seen tons of deer there. Might be worth a stop for a few hours on the way back.

Okiemhodge

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m gonna go in with my oldest son and camp, and hunt push in a few weeks. Does anybody have any pointers of the type of terrain or areas to focus on? We’re western Oklahoma flatlanders and we’ll be spending just a short time in that beautiful eastern country burning work vacation time. Any help would be most appreciated. I’ll be toting the trad bow and my son will be on a compound.
I have hunted there for several years. I haven't had any trouble with other hunters just keep away from the brush hogged areas as they draw a lot of attention to those that are driving around.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never been there, but I’ve hunted East of there and did a bunch of working near Clayton at the windmill farm. Beautiful area. If it’s anything like the honobia/three rivers area down the road near cloudy, the roads are hell and cell reception is nonexistent. I’ve heard that during deer season that area turns into a suburb of Dallas, and judging from the trash left behind in camping areas I would say that’s pretty accurate. You have a ton of land to pick from to hunt though, which is nice. Also, on the way there/on the way back you could swing by atoka, there’s 3 WMAs all touching each other with tons of acreage to explore. Archery only, good fishing too. I’ve seen tons of deer there. Might be worth a stop for a few hours on the way back.

Have you ever been fishing off the dock Clayton lake at night, I think with minnows under bobbers, with another dude you worked with at the wind farm, when a guy on a little fishing boat chatted with y’all? Lol

You’re 100% correct though man. The Texans are thick out there during hunting season. Good tip on the atoka area too, lots of hogs there!

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you ever been fishing off the dock Clayton lake at night, I think with minnows under bobbers, with another dude you worked with at the wind farm, when a guy on a little fishing boat chatted with y’all? Lol

You’re 100% correct though man. The Texans are thick out there during hunting season. Good tip on the atoka area too, lots of hogs there!
Man I wish, when I was working there I had to drive from OKC every morning, put in 8-10 hours of work, and then drive home. Fishing Clayton and Sardis lakes are on my list. I love that part of the state, but it’s such a drive.

I love going to atoka. Great fun, lots of space, lots of animals. Bummer I don’t bow hunt. The lake next to the wma headquarters is supposedly a fantastic walleye spot, was stocked 10-15 years ago by one of the old technicians there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom