Anybody Make Custom 1911 Grips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would like set made with USMC emblem inlaid on one side and a set of miniature gold jump wings and scuba diver badge in the other. I'll supply the insignia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okuma

Crocodylus Pontifex
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would like set made with USMC emblem inlaid on one side and a set of miniature gold jump wings and scuba diver badge in the other. I'll supply the insignia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I saw a site once where you could upload your image and they would make the grips, no idea what it was though.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone local does that work but VZ grips does custom work
VZ Grips | VZ Grips - 1911 Custom Engravings

Or check out 1911Forum Sarge is a very popular grip maker but I don't know if he does what you want. If anyone does it will be able to find it there.

Yeah, I sent an inquiry to VZ but that's gonna be a second choice. They are engraved. I'd like the actual insignia inlaid in the grip if I can get it. I'm also looking through 1911 forum.com too.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's kind of what I want...I want the actual insignia inlaid into the grips and the letters USMC engraved in a banner above as shown. I'm not sure of what the grip color should be, they will be going on a matte stainless 1911 Commander. Probably just stick with a dark wood, Rosewood maybe? Was also thinking of a phenolic resin, or some similar compound, like Raasco Grips does, or some other synthetic material too maybe. Thoughts?

Attachments

• USMC Insignia Grip Idea.JPG
    USMC Insignia Grip Idea.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
druryj, I'm going to make some one of these days hopefully in the not too distant future. I'm going to buy a CNC router and this is a cool idea doing the inlay. Work has got to get more stable before I drop the coin on my router, but it's gonna happen at some point.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
druryj, I'm going to make some one of these days hopefully in the not too distant future. I'm going to buy a CNC router and this is a cool idea doing the inlay. Work has got to get more stable before I drop the coin on my router, but it's gonna happen at some point.

If you think it might not be too awful
long, I'll be patient and wait for you to get set up. I need help picking wood and color too. I can just order a set from Altamont to get me by for now. PM me maybe?

Latest posts

Top Bottom