Anybody Make Custom 1911 Grips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ahhh, have them put onto salty looking herringbone twill design like the old corps utilities

Now you're talking! An OD green herringbone set with the USMC EGA on one side and my jump/scuba pins on the other side would be awesome. (I'm from the "old corps"). I remember those old school utilities well. Well, as well as I remember about anything anymore anyway. Dang.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't believe there isn't somebody here who is into woodworking who could do the inlays for me, for a nice fee of course. I'd try to do this myself but I am tool challenged. All I have is an old hand saw, a hammer, and some sandpaper. I mostly just use this stuff to clean my guns.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update and pics of what I kinda want the project to look like. The wings LOOK wider than the grips in the photo, but that's the pins on the back holding them up. In reality, they are 1/8" narrower. Got a guy on 1911forum doing me a "rough" using an old set to see what I think of his inlay work; if happy, I will press forward with this. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have zero artistic skills. I'd rather pay someone to do this right. Plus, I want the letters USMC engraved above the insignia as well. Think I may have found a guy on 1911forum, also a former Marine, who can do this for me. He's sent me some drawings and ideas, and is sending a "rough set," based off pics and measurements, in the mail for me to look at. Now I need to pick a wood or material and color, I'm thinking black, or some really dark wood ...

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im thinking that might weaken those grip panels,,,,,,do you have a magwell in that pistol
Ahhh saw the other post ....cool deal

You know, you may be right about this. Especially because the wings span the full width of the panel...maybe I need to rethink this some. Hmmmm, thanks.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Update: I found one guy to do engraved grips and another to do the inlaid ones. I'll have something to show off here shortly. These are gonna look cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom