Anybody Shooting at the Appleseed in Tulsa this weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is my plan for now. There are 4 of us.

My son (8) will use his 15-22. I think his short mags should be in at 2A tomorrow so that will help tremendously. Bought a 2-point adjustable sling, mounts and some MBUS for it.
Niece (20) will probably use Surveyor's 10/22 he's going to loan us (thanks again!)
Wife will use one of the ARs. Also got a 2-point adjustable sling, mounts and MBUS for it.
I will use my "utility" AR which has mounts, got a Magpul MS2 multi-mission sling - I think this will work. It has a Vortex Sparc, but I will probably remove that and just use MBUS as well.
Also bought some yoga mats (lol) for shooting mats.

I'll bring a couple ARs as "backups" for parts if something fails, or full rifle swaps, as well as some tools for them. If the shooting out to 300 is still a possibility, I would like to try that out with one or two of my rifles... I've never had a chance to shoot any real distance, so that will be fun. :D

If you're bringing some loaner .22s that would be great, my wife might prefer to use one of those over the AR... it'll be lighter for all-day use. I'll leave it up to her if she wants to do that. I am really looking forward to it. Been wanting to do this for a long time, especially with The Boy, but I wanted the wife and niece to try it, as well and they decided to give it a go.

Question... I know it says to bring your rifles preferably zeroed for 25 yards. Most of mine are at the moment, but that's with their red dots and such. I'll be installing the MBUS tomorrow, so won't have a chance to zero them. Will we have a few minutes to get them dialed in at some point? It shouldn't take long at 25 yards, I wouldn't think.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting all of ya'll!

I have plenty of .22 ammo, as well, and will bring plenty to share around for anyone who needs any. :D

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can put a mechanical zero on the irons (front sight post base set flush with the front sight housing and the rear aperture centered) and be pretty darned close. There will be time to make zero adjustments.

MZO AR front sight.jpg
MZO AR rear sight.jpg

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, you have plenty opportunity to zero at the event. Also, if you have red dots mounted that are zeroed, you can install the irons and just adjust them so that the tip of the front sight post touches the bottom edge of the dot when you line the sights up through the red dot sight. That would get you ahead of the game a little bit.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
These are pretty good visual aids for getting the family familiarized with the basics of AQT's and the most important rules of Appleseed.

It's good to be familiar with the six steps for firing the shot, too:

The Six Steps to Firing a Shot
1. SIGHT ALIGNMENT

2. SIGHT PICTURE

3. RESPIRATORY PAUSE

4A. FOCUS YOUR EYE ON THE FRONT SIGHT

5. TRIGGER SQUEEZE

6. FOLLOW THROUGH

Don't worry too much about being geared up for the Appleseed, at the last one I attended, a shooter showed up without a rifle or ammo and was quickly geared up, zeroed in and ready to go by the gracious, professional and extremely well prepared group of instructors there. By the end of the weekend, that shooter was within points of scoring rifleman. I take that as a tremendous testament to the dedication of those instructors and their passion for our shared history and heritage of marksmanship. You are in great hands with these volunteer instructors, as they are some of the finest folks around.

The only thing anyone really ever needs to bring to an Appleseed is respect for range/safety rules, a teachable attitude(ego in check with an open mind to instruction) and a willingness to persist, the instructors will provide everything else necessary to shoot an expert AQT in the rifleman's quarter mile.

If you are looking for somewhere to donate some .22lr, I can't think of a better place to deposit it, than with these instructors. They will, without a doubt, pay it forward.

P.S. Here are some pretty good recent reviews about attending an Appleseed(you might recognize the author as top ten finalist "Chris from Tennessee" in the Ruger 10/22 50th anniversary customer design contest):

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/what-is-project-appleseed/

http://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/top-three-lessons-learned-project-appleseed/

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok... we're about ready!

All my stuff came in from Amazon, got it all installed on the ARs and The Boy's 15-22. Now they're all outfitted with MBUS, slings and quick-detach systems. Pulled 'em all out (well, not all, the three I'm gonna bring) and tore down the BCGs, cleaned and lubed everything... can you tell I'm excited??? :D Hopefully I'll be the only one using the AR tomorrow with loaner guns possibly being available, but I want to make sure we're prepared, just in case. Got shooting mats, too. I'll make sure to bring plenty of ammo, 5.56 and .22LR. It's my first time to visit USSA, as well, so I'm looking forward to seeing their facility.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a great time last weekend at the Appleseed! It was sunny and highly humid, so we had lots of sweat, but the shooters persisted and we saw improvement from everybody -- for some the improvement was pretty dramatic. We had a couple shooters who had very limited experience and were all over (and off) the paper Saturday morning, but by the end of the day they were slinging up like pros and putting in close to 4 MOA groups. The statistics from the Redcoat targets told the story well -- on Saturday morning, only one shooter hit the simulated 250 yard head shot; Saturday evening, we had 10 shooters who hit it. Sunday afternoon we had a couple shooters over to the 300 yard range, where we once again proved that the fundamentals work just the same at full distance as they do at 25m.

It was great to see new and familiar folks alike, and to finally meet some OSA members (and their families) in person. I am especially happy when we have a lot of kids on the line, like we did here. I'm looking forward to many more great events at USSA's fine facilities!

FYI, pictures and feedback from other shooters are posted on the AAR thread on the Appleseed forum here: http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=42035.msg298932;topicseen#msg298932

Latest posts

Top Bottom