Anybody Shooting at the Appleseed in Tulsa this weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dangit, I wanted to, but haven't had a chance to pick up any rimfire rifles other than the 15-22 my son has. I'm not sure it'll be appropriate, as we don't have any short mags, only the 25-rounders. I think with the prone shooting, that won't work, will it?

I could bring a couple ARs for the wife and me, but that'll be a bit expensive in the ammo department.

I have lots of .22 to share, though... gonna talk to the wife about it. We'll see.

<edit> Oh crap... slings. That was the other problem, I don't have appropriate slings for all my rifles. And attachments and such. <sigh>

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Doc - Appleseed is a "run what you brung" event. The 25 rounders are fine, as long as you're not using them for a monopod. Slings are strongly suggested, but not required. Once you learn to use your sling as a support tool, you'll never want to be without one...
FWIW - a quick sling can be rigged up using any sling and some big zip-ties.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a spare 10/22(equipped with Tech Sights), two mags, and a GI sling you can borrow on Saturday.

ETA: You can keep it and use it on Sunday, too. I'll meet you in B'ville to pick it up Sunday evening on your way home.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm doing some research now on some inexpensive sling setups... for some of the ARs. I've got some single-point bungees and such, but would rather get some simple adjustable 2-point slings to learn on, and go from there in terms of figuring out what to use long-term.

Surveyor, you're the man! I can let the niece use that one and she'll be tickled pink, and it'll save me some money on ammo... AR ammo ain't cheap. .22 may be getting higher, but I still have a good amount of that lyin' around, so I'd like to take advantage and save a few pennies here and there. I will gladly take you up on the offer! :D

Questions...

I have a nice "precision" AR I built for varmint stuff - 3-9x40, 24" bull barrel, etc. Is this the one I want to use?
Or should I use my more "utility rifles", standard kinda setup. No big deal to pull off the red dots and Eotech.
Better with MBUS or a red-dot/holosight? I was always under the impression this was more intended to be a plain sling and iron sights kind of class, but I don't know. I know it's not a "tactical" class. And I like the idea of learning how to use iron sights/MBUS properly. The Boy's 15-22 has a cheap red dot on it, but I pulled the factory plastic sights because they seemed like crap to me... I couldn't get them to dial in properly for anything, the rear was all the way to the right and still wasn't shooting properly, if I remember right. I've got a couple sets of MBUS I was going to throw on a couple of the rifles, and I think some already have them. I don't pay much attention, lol. Gotta get into the safe tomorrow and see what I've got.

<edit> Oh, and TK, I'm not sure, but do you think it's possible for an almost-9-year-old to run a 15-22 with the 25-round mags and not have to use it as a monopod? I mean... lying prone, that is. That's why I was looking at getting one or two of the short mags, just because I don't see any other way for him to shoot prone. But I will get him to mock it up for me tomorrow and see. Looks like the mags are $20, and it'll cost me $20 for Priority Mail to get it here by the weekend. That's from 44mag, I'm not sure who else might have them. Maybe I'll make some calls in Tulsa, but the short mags for the 15-22 seem to be pretty hard to find.

Thanks all!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that may be tough, but like I said, bring what you have, and we'll show you how to make the most of it. Appleseed is geared toward teaching you the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, plain and simple. Iron sights are fine, scopes do great also. I would try to use the optic with the LEAST amount of magnification - it'll save you much grief at 25 yards.
If you are able to use irons, (not really bad vision) I'd encourage you to try irons. You'd be surprised how accurate one can be w/o a scope.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be there as well -- I also have several .22 loaner rifles and slings that will be available. tRidiot, as far as your AR goes, I'd recommend more of a utility/fighting rifle setup over your heavy varmint type rig. This class is designed to teach you how to get hits on a man-sized target out to 500 yards using rack-grade rifles, standard ball ammo, and any type of sights including irons, all from field positions; so match-grade barrels and ammo are not necessary, and a heavy bull barrel and high powered optic would not be ideal for the type of shooting we will be doing. TedKennedy gives good advice on using irons or low-powered optic. I would recommend starting with irons if you have them (MBUS are fine). If your red dot is co-witnessed, you can just turn the dot off and use the irons right through the optic, without having to remove it. Then if you qualify with irons, you can start playing with the dot. But like Ted said, it is very much run what you brung, and we will show you how to make the most out of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom