anybody shot a smith 329 pd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has any one ever had a chance to shoot one of the airweight 44mags? Im looking at picking one up. Ive heard they are rip snorting little guns but id like to shoot one. Im not recoil shy so im not particularly worried about that, ive had a airweight 340 and it was just no fun to shoot. If any body has one that would let me put some trigger time on one id appreciate it

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe this doesn't answer your question directly, but my experiences with a 629 Mountain Gun and Magnum cartridges was anything but pleasant. It is a gun that is very light by N-frame standards, yet it is all-steel. The 329, being made of lightweight alloy will have even more recoil than my MG. If you're not sensitive to recoil, then go for it.

As for me and my MG, I consider it a 44 special that I can shoot magnums in if I want to. I rarely want to.

I hope this was some assissitance to you.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry the 329 in the Alaska Backpacker version. I've never been recoil sensitive. I usually shoot 24 rounds out of it at least twice a year. Would shoot more if I was into reloading. The recoil is stout but once you experience you know what to plan expect. When you're out in the field carrying it for 10 to 12 hours at a time you appreciate the lighter weight.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I occasionally shoot the 4" M500 and unless using the X-frame type Hogue or similar grips, a little shooting goes a long way with the 329, although to me the 340 PD and 340 M&P is more abusive. The 500 will recoil but doesn't hurt like the Sc-Ti magnum models (44 or 357) do.
IMO, the 329 is more for carrying than shooting if using anywhere near full house loads but with the right grips its tolerable..

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd agree that the 329 is more for carrying then shooting. I shoot it enough to feel comfortable with it. I also have a 629 that I can carry when weight isn't an issue.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm more worried if it's as brutal as that 340? I'm more than confident in my ability to put 6 on target where I want them in a hunting situation. Which is predominantly what I will be using it for. Not sure if I'd just be shooting for fun but I've definitely considered the weight benefits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom