anybody shot a smith 329 pd?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has any one ever had a chance to shoot one of the airweight 44mags? Im looking at picking one up. Ive heard they are rip snorting little guns but id like to shoot one. Im not recoil shy so im not particularly worried about that, ive had a airweight 340 and it was just no fun to shoot. If any body has one that would let me put some trigger time on one id appreciate it

I have one. I fell in love with one years before I bought one. It will handle full power magnum loads and it is light enough to use as a carry gun. I load light loads for it. Full power factory ammo is tough to shoot.

I have some light magnum loads with 180gr bullets and on the low side of the charge weights that aren't bad to shoot. I am willing to let you shoot it. You would have to bring your own ammo if you want to shoot full power loads.

It came with wood and rubber grips. The rubber ones are what I use. I have read that the OEM grips for the .500 magnum will fit on it and they do look like they would be better than the standard rubber grips that came with it.

I didn't like the trigger and I have put a standard power Wolff spring kit in it. It made a big difference in double and single action pull.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W listed a light weight 6" barreled version they called the XL Hunter it had a stainless cylinder like the 2 1/2" version. It was a little heavier than the 4" PD version. I wanted the 6" one and my dealer couldn't find one so I got the PD instead.

If you want to hunt with it I would get a 629 or a BH Hunter from Ruger.

I have an octagon .44 mag barrel for my Contender that is too light also.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using .44 Special for practice in .44 mag guns is a tempting way to go, but it did not work out well for me.

I have a Redhawk and a Super Redhawk in .44 mag. With the scoped and heavier Super, at 25 yards the Special rounds consistently hit about four inches below the .44 mag group.

With the open sighted Redhawk, the difference is about 7 inches.

Both these guns rise quite a bit when fired. My theory, and that's all it is, is that the rise is more rapid with the mag loads, causing the muzzle to be higher when the bullet exits the muzzle than with the more recoil friendly Special loads.

I recently acquired a .454 Casull Super Redhawk, and it seems to put .45 Colt rounds the same place it puts the heavy .454 rounds. The gun, heavy and scoped, does not seem to rise as much as the .44s. It does deliver appreciable recoil energy to the hand holding it, but appears to push more straight back.

My recommendation regarding a lightweight heavy caliber weapon is to practice enough to learn where it shoots, and to practice outdoors with reactive targets. This will, for many people, cause felt recoil to be less.

My own preference would be, if I were going to be in bear country, to carry a short barreled medium weight revolver. Going to either end of the weight spectrum is going to bring problems. I know weight is important, but you can reach a point of diminishing returns. Also, the really light guns will dry up the membranes in your wallet.

I can assure you that if something hungry or angry is running at you, you won't feel the recoil when you shoot.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm more worried if it's as brutal as that 340? I'm more than confident in my ability to put 6 on target where I want them in a hunting situation. Which is predominantly what I will be using it for. Not sure if I'd just be shooting for fun but I've definitely considered the weight benefits.

Having shot both with full power ammo, the 340 is harder and more painful to shoot. Better off with a regular steel gun for hunting.

Nanook 450

Marksman
Reaction score
http://www.garrettcartridges.com/44mag.html this is expensive ammo... helped Randy test the defender ammo running around 1020 fps and that's comfortable to shoot - will completely penetrate most any animal. I've carried a 329 since they came out - mine is beat up and I love it. Had Chris do a trigger/action job when I first got it, put tritium sights on and its my beater. Removed the stupid safety and installed "the plug" ... with respect to recoil, I find rubber grips just give it a running start. The Ahrend (sp) grips fit my hand and that's the key, finding grips that fit your hand. If you shoot heavy 44 special ammo, be sure and thoroughly clean the cylinder before running magnum loads, else they will stick - bad. I have many S&W revolvers and they all rest in the safe in silicone socks - the 329 to me, saves wear on my nice ones. Carry a lot, and shoot a lot - just get the right load and grips.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom