Anyone a member of Tulsa Gun Club or Red Castle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
If so, can you answer a few questions?

1) Are the pistol and rifle ranges pretty packed on the weekend?

2) Do you really need 2 people to shoot on the pistol range so 1 can be a spotter?

3) Are the facilities kid friendly?

Thanks.

And anyone a member of Red Castle?

If so can you answer the same questions but add the driving time to the facilities from mid town tulsa.

Thanks as well.

brennan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. Depend on the weekend
2. I do not believe so unless it is a new rule.
3. What age kids? They have or used to have a good junior program.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ranges packed? no, but you have to be a member to shoot on the pistol/rifle range or a guest of a member.

new rule: one shooter and one spotter taking turns spotting. this rule not currently enforced.

kids: under age of ??? have to shoot with an adult / over 21 y/o

Red Castle is about 45 min from midtown.

Tulsa Gun Club building a new club house. also building a new covered facility for pistol range. range is max of 50 yards for rifle and 25 yards for pistol.

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I was afraid that "2 person" rule was true. It seems like as soon as you find someplace to shoot, a kink gets thrown in the mix. :grumble:

My daughter is 13. I read some of the junior activities and thought she would like some of them if they were still doing them.

I am getting tired of going to the Wagoner range and dealing with the idiots out there. If the "2 person" rule isn't enforced, it might be worth checking out TGC. If not, Red Castle might work for me. I really wanted to join USSA but I really don't think I would take advantage of everything they have to offer to justify the expense.

Thanks for the provided info.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If so, can you answer a few questions?

1) Are the pistol and rifle ranges pretty packed on the weekend?

2) Do you really need 2 people to shoot on the pistol range so 1 can be a spotter?

3) Are the facilities kid friendly?

Thanks.

And anyone a member of Red Castle?

If so can you answer the same questions but add the driving time to the facilities from mid town tulsa.

Thanks as well.

For Red castles range
#1 depends on weekend. each member gets a calendar of events so they can plan accordingly.

#2 never heard of a rule like that. been going there since 1963

#3 if you want a place to park the kids. the clubhouse has tv w/vcr and a pool table If you want them to shoot, just make sure your there supervising.

Driving time standard route thru sand springs 45 min - fast route thru north tulsa 30 min. but you need someone to show you the way.

they have a junior program. don't know how active it currently is. they shoot at Red castles indoor range at 11th and zunis a couple nights a week.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sooooo glad I'm a Sand Springs Gun Club member!!!!

too bad for prospective new members, membership is closed
good for current SS members because there's almost never a crowd.

heck if there's two other folks at the rifle range ... it's a crowd.
most of the time when I'm there during the day... either I'm the only one there or there may be one other person at the range.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For me, Red Castle is THE gun range in the area but it depends on what you like to do. Personally, I get bored shooting from benches at paper targets all the time. Plus being limited to 100 yards for rifle shooting gets old after awhile too. For pistol, paper targets at fixed distances get boring too. At Red Castle, they have the basic benchrest rifle range(25,50,100,200 yard target stands) and the basic pistol range. However, they also have an action pistol range that has steel plates you can shoot at, they have a plinking range that you can bring stuff to shoot at, they have a .22/blackpowder/pistol range with steel targets from up close all the way out to what seems like 200 yards, and they have an amazing long range.

The long range is 600 yards from the back berm to the target holders but their are metal targets set up at 200, 300, 400, 500 yards from the back berm. There is a berm every 100 yards so if no one is there, you can set up on a berm closer to the target holders. I hear that the range is actually a 1000 yard range and that they have a location up near the trap houses or something that makes it 1000 yards but I've never them use it.

Add to all that the location. The range is located right on skiatook lake on the Zink Ranch so the location is very nice and has great views of the lake and the ranch as you are driving in. Yes, it does take a bit longer to get there compared to some other ranges but personally, I'd rather shoot on a nationally recognized range in a pristine location than either indoors somewhere or on some artificial feeling tactical range. Plus the membership fees aren't too bad and you get to go as much as you want.

agb104983

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How can you argue with a 600 yard rifle range like this?:

ai51.tinypic.com_28iu7aw.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom