Anyone buy a big grill lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Preacherman: Cast Iron is nice to cook on. The grill I had before this one had cast iron grates. Unfortunately it also liked to catch on fire and char the hell out of the meat. But if I could choose I'd want an infared setup with a cast iron cooking surface.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cast iron is nice, but requires more maintenance them stainless. I'm going to buy heavy gauge stainless replacements when I replace the cast iron on my weber. It won't be for a long time though. I am terrible at forgetting to oil them after a really hot cook, so they're wearing prematurely.

I don't think there's a big difference between cat iron and heavy steel, but there sure is compared to the thin stuff most grills use

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
image.jpg
I bought one of these cheapies from Academy. It's okay. I haven't smoked with it yet.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Love my Yoder pellet grill!!! Smokes, grills, sears....you name it...up to 600'f.

Was going to by a Cookshack Fast Eddy...but could never get the chance to see in person. Would love to have bought a MAK General I but at the time. ....Okc didn't have them. Now a business on Broadway Extension...Propane dealer is going to sell the MAK pellet smokers. He also sells quality "100%" natural flavor wood pellets.

You have to warch....some pellet companies sell wood pellets and then flavor them...I want real natural flavor...real hickory, cherry, mesquite...etc.

You really need to post up some pics of that Yoder. I've been drooling for one of those for some time now. Just don't want to spend that much or do the wait, but they look awesome.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up going with a Kenmore grill. Here is the one I picked up: http://www.kenmore.com/kenmore-5-bu...p-07116156000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

5 burner + searing + rotisserie burners. overall the same size as my commercial series CarBroil. One thing I did like about my CharBroil was the grill was not impacted by wind nearly as much as others. This grill has a huge opening in the back where you can take the drip pan out to clean it. Only time will tell if this is an issue.

Right now I'm on the fence on getting the NG conversion kit and putting it on before I break the grill in. or wait. I'm afraid it I wait it will not get done.

I took my time assembling and probably was in the garage close to 2 hours. This included unpacking everything and cleaning up the mess. It wasn't bad at all. Overall impressions of the assembly process were as expected. All hardware was there. Everything was cleanly pictured in the instructions (yes I read the instructions). Holes lined up. I did have one screw that holds the top grill portion to the lower cabinet start to strip. I can solve that with a longer stainless bolt and nut. Until its an issue I'll forget about it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up going with a Kenmore grill. Here is the one I picked up: http://www.kenmore.com/kenmore-5-bu...p-07116156000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

5 burner + searing + rotisserie burners. overall the same size as my commercial series CarBroil. One thing I did like about my CharBroil was the grill was not impacted by wind nearly as much as others. This grill has a huge opening in the back where you can take the drip pan out to clean it. Only time will tell if this is an issue.

Right now I'm on the fence on getting the NG conversion kit and putting it on before I break the grill in. or wait. I'm afraid it I wait it will not get done.

I took my time assembling and probably was in the garage close to 2 hours. This included unpacking everything and cleaning up the mess. It wasn't bad at all. Overall impressions of the assembly process were as expected. All hardware was there. Everything was cleanly pictured in the instructions (yes I read the instructions). Holes lined up. I did have one screw that holds the top grill portion to the lower cabinet start to strip. I can solve that with a longer stainless bolt and nut. Until its an issue I'll forget about it.

That's the one we have, love it.

BTW, it's a violation of man card rules to read instructions. Just thought you might like to know that. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom