Anyone dumping the dot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold Smoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m kind of curious what the longer term response has been to dot sights. My first exposure was in IPSC open class back when I was tall thin and perty. It was a non-reciprocating red dot the size of a c-cell flashlight which made it pure evil for placing.38 Supers. I’ve tried the Holosun on a P365XL, and while it does work, I don’t find it to be particularly advantageous. By my thinking at the classic 21ft and in you should be able to draw and fire effectively without even seeing the sights. I don’t carry what I do simply for halitosis range and find it expedient to use rear sight holds up the slide like a ladder sight. How many of you are over the moon with your dot sights and are there any who have gone back the other way? For the record, I have won every gunfight I have ever been in… 😉

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I gave them a shot (a few times), and really did put a good amount of rounds down range trying to become comfortable with target acquisition. I ended up just going back to iron sights. Too many decades of engrained muscle memory did not make for an easy transition to red dots. They have merit, and people can really benefit from them, but my eyesight isn't too far gone and I do well with my traditional irons.

I'm just stuck in my ways I suppose.

1695016393716.png

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My eyes aren't what they used to be back in my youth, but dot sights have been my saving grace. After several years of struggling to qualify I added a red dot to one of my guns and my scores immediately went back to high 90's and 100's. They definitely made me a believer, I won't be going back to iron sights.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tried them on a few guns. It took a bit to warm up to them but once I found one I liked, I tolerate them a bit more. But I'm also a KISS type person. So my guns stay stock and simple for the most part. I may change sights and grips but most everything else stays like it was built.

I still don't think I'd use one on a carry/duty gun. One thing I did find is that if I drew the gun and the dot wasn't right there, I spent too much time focusing on finding it instead of what I should've been focusing on...the target. I know that's a training issue. But it's still one more thing I have to remember and overcome. Decades of sight acquisition are still ingrained in my muscles and I just do that better.

There's definitely a use and some advantages, but for me, the cons (in general) outweigh the pros.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m trying to pick it up, but I guess I’m a ways behind on the curve. I have a slight astigmatism, but red dots help a lot more than they hurt, as an injury has caused me to go from right handed, right eye dominant, to right handed, left eye dominant over the past decade. I intensely dislike shooting with one eye closed, especially when hunting or training for self defense. Without a red dot it is almost impossible to use my right eye for sighting and left eye for situational awareness. When I come up with the cash I’m sending my 19x off to get milled for a dot.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately my eyesight has deteriorated substantially over the past couple of years. I have reading glasses just to read the strength on all my other reading glasses, which are strewn everywhere! I still haven't gotten an answer as to why or what should be done and I think I have my 5th or so eye doc appointment day after tomorrow.

Yeah I can point shoot out to 7 yards with a flash sight picture and still get good results, if I'm just standing on a square range. Where that RDS shines is anything beyond 7 yards, and anything done from an unconventional shooting position. If I'm not belly shooting someone at close contact range, that RDS is heaven sent for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom