Anyone else put out shed traps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's that time! The last hunting season closes in just two weeks and the pressure will be off the Whitetails until November. this also means the Bucks are going to start shedding soon, if they haven't already. So, it's time to put some shed traps out!

We put out standard V-traps using bungee cord for catches and a nice tasty pile of corn in the middle. We've have had good results in the past, but with the odd Deer activity this year we're starting to wonder if we shouldn't set something else up, or bait with a different food.

What do you all use (if anything) to catch antlers? We're going to start training our GSD this year, see if we can't turn him into a shed retriever.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm concerned that the chicken wire version would trap (and cause the death of) a buck that isn't quite ready to shed. Sure would be easier to do it this way, we end up with some seriously trashed bungee cord at the end of the shed season.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put a couple out last year and did not have any luck. I didn't have any type of large gravity feeder and was just baiting it by hand. Corn would get sucked up by the first handful of does that came by, so I found it unproductive how I was doing it. My favorite place to hunt are areas that have the first green grass, like patches of rye surrounded by briars and clumps of long grass. They seem to graze on the fresh tender shoots and hook their antlers on surrounding brush and pop them off. Have found bucketloads in these areas and not much elsewhere. There are certainly patterns to where they drop antlers if you can find it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom