Anyone own a PRS Tremonti SE Custom guitar?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got one of these on my wish list (in Tobacco Sunburst) and am currently saving my pennies. Never tried my hand at any guitar work so this will be an entry level piece to get me started. Any feedback or suggestions? I will also be needing a fairly inexpensive low watt tube amp to mate with it. I've heard that Blackstar makes so nice 20w and 40w amps, but I have no first hand experience to know what may be a good pairing for this guitar. My music preferences are heavy rock and grunge so that it likely what I will likely gravitate towards playing.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That would seem to be a more than decent type of rig for what youre gonna be playing. Myself I would shoot for more wattage, but thats just me, Im into more extreme metal genres and like my power. But on a budget and just getting started what youre after would work out great especially since most decent venues have better PAs these days and you can get by just fine with a mic'd up tube combo or one that has a DI out that you can run to the board for your feed.

If you're ever near the Tulsa area PM me and we can trade numbers and see if I can help you out. It's kind of what I do. Musician, gear nerd, etc. I play in more extreme metal and industrial/metal bands, sometimes hardcore, sometimes doom, stoner, etc. Ive played just about every genre of metal.

Some of my gigging gear:
https://www.facebook.com/DaemonBKirk

A musician friend of mine in Tulsa in a couple of bands has a bunch of PRS guitars among his many guitars and he apparently loves them because he has everything from Suhr's on. I will see if he has any used for sale as he has been getting rid of a bunch of guitars and amps lately. He does that periodically when he gets new gear or guitars. Im not a fan of them myself, theyre just not my style, but they are solid guitars and play like butt'a. (Myself Im using 7s and 8s in a djent'y type metal band, LPs and superstrats in an industrial/metal band, and then whatever I need in my side and demo projects. I use EMG active p'ups in all of my gigging guitars).

Ive heard and seen a bunch of Blackstar amps out and about at shows and stuff and they sound great, never played thru one myself but have seen a bunch of them around at shows so they must be decent amps. Next NAMM Im gonna play some.
https://www.blackstaramps.com/ranges/ht-metal-series

Ive been hanging out at this forum about as long as Ive been here, alot of great info on guitars, gear, etc:
http://www.thegearpage.net

Im in a bunch of different projects usually at any one time so I have to have different types of rigs on hand. I use everything from multiple head/cab rigs to tube combos to rack rigs to just carrying in a single AX-FX processor or Kemper profiler and plugging direct to the board. I only own 2 heads that are under 100watts- an old old 83' JCM800 2205 50watt head that sounds like crap until you get it EQ'd just right- but when you do it sounds F'n awesome (Scorpions used them on their records), and then a 15 yr old Mesa MKIII 60watt tweed head that sounds just gd brutal for an under 100watter, (same head Mark and Willy of 'Lamb of God' used on most of their earlier records).

I prefer 100watt heads tho not just for their power, that too, but mostly for the headroom and to get that coveted tube sag we all want. I have never used a distortion or overdrive pedal in all my years playing gigs mostly because I choose amps that have decent saturation already and use active pickups in all my gigging guitars to smooth out the dirt and cut the mids. My Mesa Dual right now is the main head I'll use if Im gonna use a head but I have some Marshalls and Peaveys plus some other heads (Randalls, a Fender, Laney, etc). I like to use most any of them with Mesa's oversized recto 2x12 cabs, loaded with Vintage30s, from larger shows to smaller gigs and rehearsing. Theyre just the best sounding 2x12 cabs hands down IMO. When using a 4x12 I will mix it up using a Mesas sometimes but I also have some ol well worn basic industry standard Marshall 1960s loaded w/12-75s. I never stack em I prefer side by side or split up if Im running a stereo rig.

The cheapest heads that Ive ever bought and still buy that sound great almost every one and theyre easy to get EQ'd for most types of hard rock or metal are Peavey 5150s and 6505s. I have a bunch of em, love em. Easy to work on or mod and almost bullet proof out on the road. I love their 60watt 6505 tube combos too, they are easy to find and snag on EBay for really cheap usually and they sound great, especially for metal. I have one I sometimes use for preshow rehearsals or to record quickie demos with but you could for sure gig with it no problem at all, theyre loud as F for such a small tube combo. It has a dedicated DI out also for running straight to the board at gigs or when recording that is handy too, and it doesnt cut off the speaker like most amps do with DI outs. I sometimes will just pull the speaker plug out in the back and run the combo out and into a cabinet and it sounds great. 60 tube watts really sizzles. I would change out the crappy Peavey speaker tho in favor of Celestion or EV or whatever your preference is. I had an old mid 90s 5150 60watt 2x12 combo at one time that was built like a tank and sounded badass for metal but damn if it wasnt a chunk to have to carry around. All of the 5150 and 6505s take pedals well in their loops- the one thing I absolutely hate about Mesa's- but some of them are a lil hissy if they havent been modded. Ive had Jerry at FJA do mods on a few of mine in the past to quiet them down but usually I can get one quiet pretty easy with an ISP Decimator or Rocktron Hush noise reduction unit. ( I dont ever use noise gates because they will F with your effects, especially delay trails, noise reduction units just cut the hiss and leaves your tones intact).

(Peaveys and Mesas have been great amps for me because when Im out playing and might need to change a microphonic tube I dont need to re-bias them, theyre built for the most part to be plugnplay and set fairly hot. You can re-bias them tho and I will maybe have my tech re-bias if I feel their running too hot or cold but you just cant tell that from playing one, you have to check the bias. I buy all of my tube sets from Bob at Eurotubes, he will help you with exactly what you need. I use JJs in my Mesa's and JJ or Rubys in the Peaveys and Marshalls. I used to make myself nuts trying to find NOS tubes or certain 'boutique' brands thinking it really made a difference in tone but have since decided that it is not necessary. Im a 6L6 guy, most all of my amps use em. Kind of the Glock 9mm of the amp tube world I think).

Last edited:

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Never owned a PRS but have played a few. Good guitars. They are easy to play, tend to have decent tone and stay in tune so it would be a good choice for a first electric guitar.

Have never played through a Blackstar so I can't comment. I would recommend something like the Fender "Hot Rod" amps. I plugged into one with a 10" speaker (?) a few months back when I was looking at a guitar in CA. Seemed pretty versatile for just noodling around with. I like small combo tube amps. Of the five amps I have, I tend to either run an old Fender Champ or a really cool Marshall Class 5 that picked up a few years back. It's like mini version of my 62 combo. If you can find one used and it is good shape, get it. Really great "Marshall" tone in a small amp.

Good luck ... You are about to get into a very addictive habit.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy cow guys...thanks for all of the great info. It's much appreciated. NFF, if you do run across anyone selling a Tremonti definitely give me a shout. I'm looking for one of the SE Customs that's a 2011 model or newer with a tremolo bridge. Guitar Center has the Tobacco Sunburst version clearanced for $549 ($739 regular price) and that's what I'm hoping to pick up before they're out of stock. There is a 5 yr old Cherry Sunburst on OKC Craigslist right now that looks to be in excellent condition, but the cheapest the seller will go is $450. At that price I think I'm better off spending a few extra dollars on something new.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lastly ... I would recommend being patient and waiting to find what you really want … not a compromise. You will appreciate it all that much more.

Lot of good guitars and amps out there. People buy them and realize they can’t form an F chord or there right hand has the soul of a metronome (which is very important for all players to have) and they sell their instruments.

Probably preaching to the proverbial choir but guitar amps are musical instruments and they all sound different and can do different things. Getting one that sounds good “clean” and one that you can overdrive goes a long way.

With guitars, you will find that when you play different things you will have different tunings. I play a lot of Rolling Stones and Little Feat so I have one or two guitars in open G. If you want to play deeper metal you will go to a drop B tuning and to this, if you are playing a locking system you will need another guitar or three because retuning them is (to me) a pain in the butt hen compared to one of my Strats or Teles.

I used to have a lot of guitars and amps (and pianos) but am now down to a number where the wife doesn’t bust my balls on an hourly basis about having guitars (and guns) that I don’t use. My two cents is that everyone who plays should have at least a good electric with a versatile amp (and a pedal or two) and a good acoustic.

Enjoy the ride.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lastly ... I would recommend being patient and waiting to find what you really want … not a compromise. You will appreciate it all that much more.

Lot of good guitars and amps out there. People buy them and realize they can’t form an F chord or there right hand has the soul of a metronome (which is very important for all players to have) and they sell their instruments.

Probably preaching to the proverbial choir but guitar amps are musical instruments and they all sound different and can do different things. Getting one that sounds good “clean” and one that you can overdrive goes a long way.

With guitars, you will find that when you play different things you will have different tunings. I play a lot of Rolling Stones and Little Feat so I have one or two guitars in open G. If you want to play deeper metal you will go to a drop B tuning and to this, if you are playing a locking system you will need another guitar or three because retuning them is (to me) a pain in the butt hen compared to one of my Strats or Teles.

I used to have a lot of guitars and amps (and pianos) but am now down to a number where the wife doesn’t bust my balls on an hourly basis about having guitars (and guns) that I don’t use. My two cents is that everyone who plays should have at least a good electric with a versatile amp (and a pedal or two) and a good acoustic.

Enjoy the ride.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm coming into this pretty much knowing next to nothing. The only instruments that I have played are brass so I have zero experience with anything stringed. I'm hoping to find a balance between having quality gear, but don't want to invest too much in the event that I wash out like so many others who try their hand at it. The Tremonti SE Custom was honestly the only thing on my want list so it's good to hear that the PRS guitars are well liked and easy to play. I've always appreciated Mark Tremonti's work and love the idea of having a guitar that is designed to sound similar to his PRS Signature. I know very little about tuning...from a listening standpoint I always seem to enjoy the sound of drop B and open D tuning (I think Mark uses open D5 frequently). I have no idea what type of tuning that Shane Oschner from Everything in Slow Motion primarily uses, but it is one of my favorite sounds...I love atmospheric heavy rock.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NFF, if you do run across anyone selling a Tremonti definitely give me a shout. I'm looking for one of the SE Customs that's a 2011 model or newer with a tremolo bridge. Guitar Center has the Tobacco Sunburst version clearanced for $549 ($739 regular price) and that's what I'm hoping to pick up before they're out of stock. There is a 5 yr old Cherry Sunburst on OKC Craigslist right now that looks to be in excellent condition, but the cheapest the seller will go is $450. At that price I think I'm better off spending a few extra dollars on something new.
I will check with my friend this weekend and let you know something. I know he has quite a few of them, not sure about the Tremonti model or the colors, but will check. I have a rare weekend off but am usually gone playing somewhere plus I work for a record company also. Will let you know.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again for the advice. I'm coming into this pretty much knowing next to nothing. The only instruments that I have played are brass so I have zero experience with anything stringed. I'm hoping to find a balance between having quality gear, but don't want to invest too much in the event that I wash out like so many others who try their hand at it. The Tremonti SE Custom was honestly the only thing on my want list so it's good to hear that the PRS guitars are well liked and easy to play. I've always appreciated Mark Tremonti's work and love the idea of having a guitar that is designed to sound similar to his PRS Signature. I know very little about tuning...from a listening standpoint I always seem to enjoy the sound of drop B and open D tuning (I think Mark uses open D5 frequently). I have no idea what type of tuning that Shane Oschner from Everything in Slow Motion primarily uses, but it is one of my favorite sounds...I love atmospheric heavy rock.
Man, I wish I was closer and had the time to do it and could get a chance to work with you. I am the king of alternate tunings, lolll. I dont think I even own a guitar still in standard tuning besides my acoustics or classicals and even then I dont usually play in standard any more.

For me using a lot of different tunings means having to have more guitars to take to shows. I typically have a backup for everything, and I mean everything from tubes and strings to amps and guitars. Where I am with things I buy most everything in bulk like my custom picks, strings, etc. I can cover alot of ground these days with just the 7 and 8 strings for the stuff I play normally. But when using 6s I have to have backups. Especially those cranky az z Les Pauls. I have been in love with them since I was 14 yrs old but theyre also hard to keep in tune. Ive had someones cheap $300 Epiphone LP stay in tune sometimes better than one of my old expensive Gibsons. But I still love em. My superstrats have Floyds or Kahlers so theyre a little easier to work with, for me. Some guys dont like messing with floating trems, I love em. I keep my 6th string fine tuners set to where I can change to a drop tuning in like a few seconds. And then right back up just as easy and fast. Using 7s and 8s now I dont always play in drop tunings but will if a song needs it. Youll find if you drop too low then youre prolly ready for a baritone guitar which is great for playing stuff with alot of low tunings. I have a couple of ESP baritones and love em.

Find a good teacher in your area that will work with you on what you WANT to learn- skip the theory unless you plan on teaching someone else. Just get your basics down, work on learning the different tunings, google yer azz off, UTube what you can, etc. I used to teach but havent in a few years. Pretty much alot of newbs go to UTube, it teaches people nowadays. I took classical lessons from about 9-12 or so, I started working for my instructor teaching his beginners when I was still in jr highschool. By 16 I was gigging steady in bands with adults. Been at it ever since. Had a decent career playing in bands while also running my tattoo shops. I just hit 47 and Im not even close to slowing down. Ive worked with Roadrunner Records since 98' and still with them when Im not playing out with someone, Im kind of a mercenary fill-in guy these days and I love it.

Im down with jamming when you get set up. I need to come visit the OKC folks anyways, maybe I'll come down and stay a weekend and we can hook up. A session or two with you and I gaurentee I can have you shredding in no time.

P.S: Marks work with Creed was ok but I like his solo stuff alot better and his stuff with Miles and AlterBridge is pretty cool too. Good solid guitarist, great solos, doesnt get too shredd'y but he has the ability when he needs it.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will check with my friend this weekend and let you know something. I know he has quite a few of them, not sure about the Tremonti model or the colors, but will check. I have a rare weekend off but am usually gone playing somewhere plus I work for a record company also. Will let you know.

Thanks Daemon, I really appreciate it. That's awesome that you work with RR...I had no idea.

I totally agree with you on Mark's work with Creed. I think that it was probably a combination of being hampered by Scott Stapp and the fact that he's gotten a little more talented over the years. A lot of people like to rag on Creed, but I still occasionally listen to My Own Prison and Human Clay...brings back some good memories of high school and there were some decent songs on both albums (if you exclude Higher and Arms Wide Open). It wasn't until Alterbridge's Blackbird album that I really began to appreciate his sound. I liked the first Tremonti album more than Cauterize although his vocals improved drastically between the two albums. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to his newest release other than the title track, so I'll have to get on that.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks Daemon, I really appreciate it. That's awesome that you work with RR...I had no idea.

I totally agree with you on Mark's work with Creed. I think that it was probably a combination of being hampered by Scott Stapp and the fact that he's gotten a little more talented over the years. A lot of people like to rag on Creed, but I still occasionally listen to My Own Prison and Human Clay...brings back some good memories of high school and there were some decent songs on both albums (if you exclude Higher and Arms Wide Open). It wasn't until Alterbridge's Blackbird album that I really began to appreciate his sound. I liked the first Tremonti album more than Cauterize although his vocals improved drastically between the two albums. I haven't had the opportunity to listen to his newest release other than the title track, so I'll have to get on that.

No problem mang. Like MadDogs said its an addictive habit, in my case about a 38 year habit. I love sharing what little I have learned over the years- trial and error like anything else. And like our guns, everyone likes something different- there are Glock guys, XD guys, etc. Same with guitars, gear, and the stuff each one of us is pickin' on. Ive taken country, jazz, blues, and pop jobs because they pay money, which is a good thing.

(My real name isnt daemon, I just stole from my fave Pokemon and added the e to my name to throw off old school classmates or ex gf's trying to find me, lolll, dumb idea cause it doesnt work. Im not the brightest bulb around. I do have like 3 different accounts tho- one just for my framily, one for my bands my art and work, and then that one above is just my personal gear page).

Latest posts

Top Bottom