Anyone shoot at US Shooting Academy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s decent. For sure the best public outdoor facility in the Tulsa metro. It’s a shell of its former self though. It used to be like a country club for shooters. Last time I was there the weeds were sky high, all the target stands were shot up, and there wasn’t any steel out anywhere.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to love this place but my last few visits have left a sour taste in my mouth to be honest.
Seems the steel challenge bays always have missing or broken targets, and the 50 yard bays are always flooded out. Due to those two issues, they dont utilize the bays and now there seems to be wait times which I had never experienced in the past. Its like its slowly going down hill.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a membership for many years, as it was on my way home from work, so I went there quite a bit. It's run well from what I've seen. They pretty much leave you alone, but they do keep an eye on everything.

It's a nice facility. Several bays are covered, which I prefer. When it's hot, they put out water coolers; nice touch. Some of the bays have bench rest style tables with seating positions.

Like Adam and TWSS, I have seen shot up stands and high weeds on the berms. Never had to wait, but I haven't been in a while.

I'm probably going to renew this weekend. One of my New Year resolutions is to get out to the range more. Last I checked, it's $20 per head for a day pass.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My personal thought it that it is for now the best option, but it's been on the decline in recent years. Talking to several folks offline they believe that it's being propped up by the fact that you can do two things there that most other places don't allow: rapid fire and draw fire.

Besides the above noted issues, (water in bays, shot stands, etc) the other thing I think is crazy is that shotguns are stated as not allowed. Talking to them, the policy is a little less draconian in that you can probably get a green light if you have your own targets, let them know and yada yada. I've been told that it's to keep the berm from breaking down, but I don't know how a shotty will hurt it worse than a 50 which are totally gtg.

I still head out there as a main option when I get a chance to shoot, but do miss the older days when the policies seemed to make more sense, and the upkeep seemed to be more of a priority.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The tall weeds on the berms may be necessary to prevent erosion. At our range in Ponca we burned off the weeds every winter and erosion was a major issue. We just leave them as nature wants them now. Erosion has been noticeably less.
At one time the bays were more of a bowl than flat because of all the dirt that had washed down the sides and built up. A ton of work with heavy equipment at a large expense to get them back where they should be.

Latest posts

Top Bottom