Apex upgrade to 9mm Shield, Worth it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
olyeller, about half a dozen so far. I will never say mine approach the quality of your work, but it is an improvement over the factory.

You done a half dozen shields? any 40's? do you notice a hitch in the trigger right before the trigger stops after the break?

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, rather than starting a brand new thread, I thought I might add to this one with some questions I have. It seems there are several options when upgrading the Shield's trigger with Apex parts. Can someone explain the benefits of the various options I list below? I don't shoot competitively and just want an improved trigger pull and a more enjoyable gun to shoot. Is the full kit worth the additional money and the hassle of drifting the sights? BTW, I don't currently own any special tools to drift the sights.

Option 1: Just the enhanced trigger - $77
Option 2: The enhanced trigger & the machined sear - $77 + $42 = $119
Option 3: Th full duty/carry trigger and Kit (includes the sear, new springs and "ultimate striker block") - $160

Thanks
Brent

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion 4, the Shield Carry Kit $94 will gain most bang for the buck. (you are still going to need to drift the rear sight for the block)

From there you would go to the Option 3.

I have Option 3 in my carry Shield and helped a friend install option 4 in his. Mine feels better than his, but only 10-15% better. The trigger spring(s) included in both kits are stronger than the stock spring. We are both running the OEM trigger spring with takes another ½-3/4 lb out of the pull.

The Apex Shield Action Trigger by itself will gain very little unless you are dead set against the factory “hinged” trigger. I’m not sure how much extra the striker block helps as I have never modified a M&P without one. Apex highly recommends it as part of the kit. I have the second generation MGW installation tool for the Shield. I’ve heard stories of damage to slides with the first generation tool and other methods so I didn’t want to chance it. I didn’t have any issues with the 3 rear Shield sights I have removed and reinstalled.

And while specific parts are Shield specific, I’ve had the same experience for the full size M&Ps. I also have one that Dan Burwell did which is VERY nice. But the one that has the full kit and RAM is pretty close to it.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion 4, the Shield Carry Kit $94 will gain most bang for the buck. (you are still going to need to drift the rear sight for the block)

From there you would go to the Option 3.

I have Option 3 in my carry Shield and helped a friend install option 4 in his. Mine feels better than his, but only 10-15% better. The trigger spring(s) included in both kits are stronger than the stock spring. We are both running the OEM trigger spring with takes another ½-3/4 lb out of the pull.

The Apex Shield Action Trigger by itself will gain very little unless you are dead set against the factory “hinged” trigger. I’m not sure how much extra the striker block helps as I have never modified a M&P without one. Apex highly recommends it as part of the kit. I have the second generation MGW installation tool for the Shield. I’ve heard stories of damage to slides with the first generation tool and other methods so I didn’t want to chance it. I didn’t have any issues with the 3 rear Shield sights I have removed and reinstalled.

And while specific parts are Shield specific, I’ve had the same experience for the full size M&Ps. I also have one that Dan Burwell did which is VERY nice. But the one that has the full kit and RAM is pretty close to it.

Thanks. So, use all three of the original springs?

After, watching a couple of YouTube videos, I don't think the sights will be much of a problem. I stumbled across an open box special on Amazon for Option 3 for $120 shipped. So, I bought it.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. So, use all three of the original springs? After, watching a couple of YouTube videos, I don't think the sights will be much of a problem. I stumbled across an open box special on Amazon for Option 3 for $120 shipped. So, I bought it.

The only original spring you might want to use would be the trigger spring. I'd suggest trying it with the Apex spring first and only use the original if you want to lighten it slightly.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a new Shield. The trigger feels a bit heavy and I'm wondering if the Apex duty / carry install is worth considering. Any experience?
Ok, loving my M&P like I do, if apex makes it, I have it.
Anything from Apex is, in my experience and opinion, well worth the money.

Sent from no where

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. So, use all three of the original springs?

After, watching a couple of YouTube videos, I don't think the sights will be much of a problem. I stumbled across an open box special on Amazon for Option 3 for $120 shipped. So, I bought it.
I would go all out if I had a shield
The only original spring you might want to use would be the trigger spring. I'd suggest trying it with the Apex spring first and only use the original if you want to lighten it slightly.
Yea when The Professor helped install all the Apex guts the factory trigger spring actually did the best.

Sent from no where

Latest posts

Top Bottom