Apparently I'm A Glutton For Punishment......Wish Me Luck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm getting started on this Wakmann triple calendar chronograph this weekend. This will easily be the most complicated watch I've attempted to restore. I have no clue how long this one will take me, but I figured I'd get the easy part done first, which will be taking it apart. Wish me luck, and may the watchmaking gods look upon me with favor and ensure I don't ping any parts into oblivion. These things are not cheap to find replacement parts for!

1710563264436.png

1710563208199.png

1710563228956.png

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That Valjoux looks pretty clean. I didn't realize that the day and month wheels were engraved metal. Also didn't originally see that it's a pointer date. 😍

Are you going to re-plate the case?

Last edited:

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't realize that the day and month wheels were engraved metal. Also didn't originally see that it's a pointer date. 😍

Are you going to re-plate the case?
Yep, triple calendar - pointer date - chronograph. My head hurts just looking at it.

Yes, the plan is to do a full case restoration. Strip it down to base metal, re-define edges, replate and polish. This one will be a freaking long video if I ever manage to get the watch done.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, triple calendar - pointer date - chronograph. My head hurts just looking at it.

Yes, the plan is to do a full case restoration. Strip it down to base metal, re-define edges, replate and polish. This one will be a freaking long video if I ever manage to get the watch done.

At least it doesn't have a moonphase complication too...😅

You'll finish it and it'll be phenomenal looking. I have no doubts. 👍👍

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least it doesn't have a moonphase complication too...😅

You'll finish it and it'll be phenomenal looking. I have no doubts. 👍👍
Moonphases are easy actually. Generally that complication adds significant cost to a watch, but mechanically they are very simple.

I just ordered a replacement mainspring for this watch and it was nearly 3X the cost of the normal springs I buy, lol. I haven't gotten down deep enough to get it removed yet, but I plan to replace it as just a normal part of maintenance. If the movement says 'Valjoux', parts are at a premium it appears.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which is why I ordered a cheap Timex the other day. Those expensive watches are just more than I can afford or need.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I can’t wait for that video. I have no doubt that it will look and run phenomenally when you are done with it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, it makes my head hurt just to look at the internals…

Does this watch have the gearing to skip unneeded days each month, or does the owner need to manually wind the date pointer past those days?

Latest posts

Top Bottom