ar-10 scope suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbazabba73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hi guys, im getting my first ar, ever. armalite ar-10, what would be a good all around mid price range scope. need as much input as possible! basically the only scopes ive ever really used are the ones in my skull! whats out there and what combinations are available? ive got bout 1/4 mile clear shooting area to play with and want to see what i can do. thanks for any and all input !

rebelracer79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are getting a flat top, with a gas block, about any rifle scope will work, but I have a DPMS LR-308 and I'm wanting to get a low powered scope with quick detach mounts and keep my iron sights as back up

mikear

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are getting a flat top, with a gas block, about any rifle scope will work, but I have a DPMS LR-308 and I'm wanting to get a low powered scope with quick detach mounts and keep my iron sights as back up

Like this?
[Broken External Image][Broken External Image]

RRA LAR-8 16" bbl
Bobro 30mm QD mount
GRSC 1-4x CRS

bulletbiter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are many options for scopes that depend on the distances you want to shoot and how much you want to spend. High-end scopes like Nightforce and Leupold can run you $1000 to $2500. I am a firm believer that when it comes to scopes and rifles, you get what you pay for. That said, there are many very good products that are more affordable.

Some things to research:
1. Variable vs Fixed power: 1-3x won't take advantage of your ar-10
2. Diameter of front lens: 50mm lets in more light than 40mm but is bigger
3. Scope tube: 30mm tube is standard on larger scopes
4. Scope mount: must fit scope tube and must clear the front lens
5. Adjustments: Vertical, horizontal and distance
6. Reticles: Mildot, TMR, simple crosshairs, illuminated
7. Eye Relief: How far the eyepiece is to your eye. Too close and recoil will leave a mark

That should get you started. As for me, I have a 308 AR and I opted to go with a less expensive scope so that I can learn with it and go with a Nightforce for a 338 Lapua later down the road. I went with a Konus 4.5x16x40mm with illuminated reticle and internal level in the eyepiece. It has great glass (clarity) and the mildot illuminated reticle is very nice. I got it for $340 and have no regrets whatsoever on taking a chance with this new scope.

Also, I am using a 30mm Burris PEPR scope mount. I recommend shopping online for the best deals. I usually go to opticsplanet.com (free shipping and you can find promo codes online for extra 5% off). Been disappointed with gun shows lately on many vendors pricing.

Have fun with your new AR-10

OkieTac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ive got bout 1/4 mile clear shooting area to play with and want to see what i can do.

Based on this, I'd recommend the Burris XTR 156 which is a 1.5-6x40. It has an illuminated reticule that is BDC calibrated for 7.62x51. The 6x magnification, 40mm objective, and BDC should get you easily dialed in at your 1/4 mile shooting distance. If you find yourself shooting shorter distances, which practically you most likely will, you can dial it as far down as 1.5x, turn on the illuminated reticule, and then even be able to use it as a CQB weapon. Plus the uber clear optics & forever warranty are a big + in my book.

OkieTac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are many options for scopes that depend on the distances you want to shoot and how much you want to spend. High-end scopes like Nightforce and Leupold can run you $1000 to $2500. I am a firm believer that when it comes to scopes and rifles, you get what you pay for. That said, there are many very good products that are more affordable.

Some things to research:
1. Variable vs Fixed power: 1-3x won't take advantage of your ar-10

I have to disagree a little with this.

I recently went to NM elk hunting and took two .308s. My primary was a Steyr PSG with a 4-14x40 Nikon for the expected long shots across ravines and for the more open terrain at lower elevations. It turned out that the elk were much higher up and I wound up hunting in some pretty dense timber. Fortunately, I had my LAR-8 with an Eotech 552XR308 & 3x flip-to-side magnifier as my backup rifle. I switched to it for tracking through the timber (magnifier to the side). Of course, when my shot on a bull presented, it was a 230 yd shot across a ravine to an adjacent ridge. I flipped the 3x magnifier into place behind the Eotech and placed the 2nd dot in the 552XR308's BDC reticule right on the elk's shoulder. BOOM! Three steps & down for the count. Obviously, I'm in love with this setup now and will use it for many, many whitetail & hog hunts here in NE OK for years to come, so there definitely is practical use for 0-3x magnification with an AR-10, even when stretched to optical limits with low magnification at an intermediate distance shot like 230 yds. That said, 3x would not be my setup for 1/4 mile shooting; the Eotech dot would be bigger than pretty much anything this side of an elephant at that distance.

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vortex viper pst or nightforce, that's what I'm down to putting on my AR-10 with Noveske 18" upper.

With Viper being pretty reasonable.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, you don't need magnification for good hits at 1/4 mile (500 yards). Your iron sights are just fine. In fact, that is we Appleseeders calls the "Rifleman's Quarter Mile." A Rifleman ought to be able to take any rack-grade rifle with iron sights and surplus ball ammo and hit a man-sized target out to 500 yards. A scope doesn't make your rifle any more accurate, but it sure does make it easier to see the target at that distance, no doubt about it. If your vision isn't so great, you will definitely benefit from one.

I think Okie Tac is right on with the Burris XTR 1.5-6x as a good medium price scope for an .308 AR. They actually have pretty clear optics... I had a burris on my .308 AR, though it was a different model, and I thought it was a pretty good deal for the money as far as the clarity of the optics and the durability of the scope. The adjustment dials were a little on the mushy side, but they were EXACTLY 1/4 MOA clicks, which you can't say for a lot of the scopes in that price range.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
You could also look at the Bushnell 6500 1.25-8x That would offer a great magnification range. I believe GlockToGo on here has one on an AR that he really likes; as do a couple other members.

abbazabba73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cool! thanks all of you guys for the great info, im learnin'! right now i have a bsa mildot cheapie,4x16x40, cheapie meaning free! so,itll do for now til i can upgrade,again, thanks!

Latest posts

Top Bottom