AR-10 Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So would a Ruger SFAR be a reliable AR-10 that is easy to upgrade? He'll mostly be doing some long range plinking and may take it to the deer woods. I'm pretty partial to Rugers myself.
I have a Ruger SFAR 20" 308 nearing the size of AR15 profile which I run with the gas block turned OFF for no semi-auto action, running it as a straight pull bolt action.....no action noise/movement til I want it, no brass in the air position tell, no searching for brass under deer stand, in weeds, slightly more muzzle velocity. Use it largely for deer hunting, plinking, ATV gun. Very reliable, under 1 MOA with a variety of factory ammo. Run numerous other AR10 platforms from several manufacturers (not all are interchangeable like Mil Spec AR15, as there is no AR10 mil spec) as straight pull bolt actions. Not busting down doors, clearing structures any more, prefer the bolt action control while still retaining the semi-auto option. Down side for the Ruger is there aren't other complete uppers that you can swap calibers. That's the benefit of other AR10 platforms being able to run numerus different calibers, like in the AR15 platform.

busterheiney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the kind of info I'm looking for. I didn't realize Ruger had that limitation with swapping uppers. What makes would you suggest that can be swapped out for different calibers?

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to swap uppers you either have to buy more of the same brand small frame uppers or if you just want more interchangeability then the large frame AR has more upper options.
That said, the uppers do not all fit the same even in the large frame options

Basically. Buy the same mfr of the lower/upper you buy and you will have less interchangabilty/fitment problems

Jgreen30

Marksman
Reaction score
Some of the sig ar10s look pretty good that I've seen but I haven't shot one. I've got a HK mr762 and a gap10 that I use for pigs and both are amazing but a bit higher then that budget. I had a armalite super sass that was amazing also but idk what they go for these days. Down side to it was that it only took their mags which my hk is the same way, you're stuck buying their $80 mags if you want any extras.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if you can find a used one for $2K or less but, I have an Armalite AR-10T that is very accurate. It will do a one hole 3 shot group off my bipod at 100 yards when I do my part.

busterheiney

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Checked a few out today. I think I'm gonna steer her towards the SA Saint Victor. It's a bit on the heavy side, but it felt really solid. Flip up adjustable irons, nice flat trigger, adjustable gas tube... The more I read about it, the more I like it. Any feedback about it?

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here ya go....
Screenshot_20240815-181455_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240815-181459_Samsung Internet.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom