AR-15 Purchase: Carbon vs Metall constuction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Excellent suggestions. The rifle will mainly be used for hunting but if called on to use in a pinch I want it to be durable and dependable. DPMS was mentioned; any other "tried and true" brands to recommend? Also any other "tried and untrue" brands to stay away from? I have an ACOG TA31F I will be putting on it, I would like the ability to use iron sight if optic failure; other than that I am open to suggestions as I am new to AR's in that I have never owned one. Thanks.

Oh boy, here we go again. I'll put my flame suit on and brave the fires for the benefit of the OP. I would not exactly call DPMS "tried and true". The same goes for several other "mainstream" AR brands. Almost any AR can be made durable and reliable based on the intended use and most AR users never come close to truly wringing out their carbines. Some rifles only need a thorough inspection to ensure all the essentials are correctly assembled and fitted. However, some potential flaws may lurk under the surface and are impossible to see until they fail. These tend to have to do with critical parts that aren't made from the proper materials and tested fully.

If you're going to buy an off the shelf carbine and don't want to mess with tweaking and replacing parts, I'd recommend Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, Troy, Noveske, Knight's Armament, and JP rifles to name a few. You might even want to check out the home state offerings from Loki. I built up a nice rifle with some of their components and they seem to be good.

If you don't mind working on the carbine a little and perhaps replacing or stocking some spare parts, I'd recommend S&W, Rock River, Stag, Spike's (ugh), DPMS to name a few more.

Based on price and availability, I see no reason to dive to the bottom and go for Bushmaster, Windham Weaponry, Del-Ton, Olympic, Model 1 Sales, etc. It's pretty easy to spend enough on upgrades to have outright purchased a Colt, Daniel Defense or BCM in the 1st place.

Now there will probably be a slew of follow up posts where people defend their pet brand as "just as good as" or perfectly fine. I'd simply question whether those statements are backed up by objective criteria or personal bias.

I've owned Bushmaster, DPMS and Olympic AR's and like I said, they can be made to work just fine. I just don't see the cost benefit. If you already have one, unless you can get what you paid for it on resale, I also don't see a reason to turn it and buy another. Just upgrade parts as you can and keep shooting. With AR's as with most other things, you tend to get what you pay for, but there are some very overpriced rigs out there that don't compare with similarly priced offerings. If you really want to shop right and buy right the 1st time, you might want to check out m4carbine.net. Just know up front that they can be a little arrogant and dismissive if you don't use the search feature or you come in with pre-conceived ideas. When I first joined up over there I almost didn't stick around, but I'm glad I did. I've learned a ton about the AR platform over there.

Good luck!

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to buy an AR 15 for my wife to use. Want to make light and fun yet durable. Any thoughts on carbon fiber vs metal receiver? Was looking at these two models from Bushmaster. Also what are the best mag materials, plastic, metal, nylon, etc?

Thanks

Just so you're clear, it isn't Carbon Fiber.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I need some nomex as well.... Avoid those POS at all costs. They are not friendly to anyone except the manufacturer. If you want a full blown AR and not a sportical, chevy impala, generic gun that has some features without paying for a name, buy a Stag. Avoid Olympic. At all costs. There are some others out there that are just as crappy, but they don't show up often. There are plenty of ways to lighten up a gun without having to resort to a carbon-15. It may have been a great idea on paper, but the execution sucked. Do you know what a camel is? A horse by committee. Just sayin'

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a couple with panthers on the side but sold them and got one with a horsie on the side. Now I have another one with a panther on the side but it's in .308. I'm not a bigtime AR shooter though so my opinion on them isn't worth much.

As far as "space-age polymer" lowers go, I don't have any experience with them but will be doing a budget build on a New Frontier soon. I think they fit a niche market of light use ARs and .22 builds, etc.

Hump66

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a home built noveske/troy/BCM that comes in under 7 lbs. that ran me about $1100. Well worth it IMO. The main factor for weight is when you start adding a ton of accessories to it.

... home state offerings from Loki. ...

I recently heard that a lot of their stuff is actually made by Nordic Components, just rebranded. Know if this is true? I looked on both sites and some of their parts look identical from the pics(as far as rails/forends).

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a home built noveske/troy/BCM that comes in under 7 lbs. that ran me about $1100. Well worth it IMO. The main factor for weight is when you start adding a ton of accessories to it.

And the Barrel. The barrel makes a huge difference.

I recently heard that a lot of their stuff is actually made by Nordic Components, just rebranded. Know if this is true? I looked on both sites and some of their parts look identical from the pics(as far as rails/forends).

The handguard is the same. The carbon fiber handguard is an APCustoms handguard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom