AR upper build questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Folks

I am in hte process of figuring how I am going to buoild my upper and I have a few things I need help with so I dont order the wrong items. Here is a list of what I am looking at for the upper.
Barrel...?
Upper Reciever....?
BCG....?
Chrg Handle...?
Handguard....Midwest Industries t-12 12" with trim ring
Sights....Magpul MBUS front and rear
Flash Suppressor....YHM Phantom
Gas Block.....YHM Low profile

This is what I am going for
[Broken External Image]

Can I achieve this with only a midlength barrel or can it be done with the m4 contour barrel. I was wondering if the cut away would be visable or if it would be covered with the handguard?

I came across some BCG's that have a cerakote finish and skulls on them. They look cool, but how functional is the cerakote?
http://www.superiordefensesolutions.com/products/Custom-Cerakote-Bolt-Carrier-Groups-Skulls.html

Will I be able to complete this build with an armorers wrench or do I need the handguard wrench also. I have tons of tools in the garage, just looking for anything specific that I may need.

Any advice on upper recievers? I am not trying to build this AR as cheap as possible, just wisely. Its my first and I want to build it the way that I want it, but I dont want to waste money on products that are more expensive just because of a name brand. I would rather put that money into ammo. I just want an upper that has a good finish and is well made.

Other than the parts listed will I need anything else? I have finished my lower already. I saw talk about a barrel extension and m4 feed ramps.

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The info on the MI website for the T-12 has a list of tools required for installation. I'm not sure if that would answer your question or not. Lurk around the "Build it Yourself" section at ar15.com, I'm sure somebody there has built this combination before.

I don't know if the cerakote is worth it or not. There doesn't seem to be a huge price difference between that one and any other good quality BCG, looks to be $35 or so. BCM and Daniel Defense both offer a high quality BCG for around $140 without the cerakote. Many other vendors offer the same parts without the mag particle inspection or pressure test for about the same money. Some don't feel the extra inspection to be necessary, but if it costs the same with or without, it doesn't make sense to me to do without it.

I measured the M203 cut on my Colt barrel (16" M4 profile) and it looks like the cut would be well behind the front of the 12" rail.

The barrel extension generally comes with the barrel, headspace is set after it is installed. M4 feed ramps are usually preferred, just make sure both your barrel extension and upper have them.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you want the m4 ramps, make sure your upper receiver is built with these. If the cut is an issue then buy a barrell with out it, it appears that you are going to use optics or flip ups anyhow. You should not need any special tools to build this, unless you want a handguard tool. However if your going to go with free float as pictured then you won't need any handguard tool. There are many good manufacturers of AR parts and if money is no problem for you then you should be able to get all the cool name brand stuff. My AR is on the cheaper end, I used a DPMS lower and bought a kit from Model1. I have cheaper flip ups and carbine length 4rail handguards. It is very accurate though. You can spend a fortune on names.

I would suggest doing some research and talking with different manufacturers or local guys that own AR's and see what they are running. Most all AR parts are compatible. It may even be easier and cheaper to buy a complete upper from somebody and then add the parts you want as you go. There are also plenty of one-stop shops that will build you an upper just as you want, so you know that everything is right and ready to slap on your lower.
Hope that helps or maybe it is just rambling, but it's my 2 cents.

Barrel-hundreds of options-have it installed by someone who knows to make sure it's right

Upper-LMT, CMMG, DPMS, Bushmaster, Yankee Hill (would be my choice) just buy complete and don't mess with the forward assist or anything.

BCG-Again several to choose from, Don't waste a ton of money here on match stuff, unless your planning on shooting comps or going full auto at some point

Charging handle-Several again, i personally have upgraded to Bravo Company Gunfighter, but make sure that you get something with a tactical catch (saves greif later)

The rest you have figured out so i won't go there. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys.

I hadnt noticed that some do the mpi on parts and others dont. I would rather have the added insurance.

I have been digging through ar15.com for a few weeks. It has tons of info, I just never found the exact info I was looking for.

Thanks for measuring you m203 placement. That should save me some cash.

Ill post up some pics as I get further along

Latest posts

Top Bottom