are moison nagant rifles good for deer and hog hunting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you familiar with the procedure for putting the MN on safety? Have you practiced working the safety? I have hunted with a scoped 91-30, and have declared the safety to officially be a huge pain in the butt. There is a mod to the bolt that makes the safety usable. It involves installing a loop of wire to enable pulling back on the bolt without pulling a tendon.

The other drawback is the great length of the 91-30. It is tough to handle in a stand or in a blind. These kick a little, so hang on.

Why would you consider the 30-30 as your first choice as a replacement for the MN? Tradition is the only thing those have going for them. They are short range guns with marginal ballistics, never mind that they have slain a zillion deer. They have wounded two zillion. 30-06, .270, .308 and numerous other calibers are all better by far.

If you have not seen the movie "Enemy at the Gates," rent it. It features a 91-30 used with great skill and courage.

If cost is a consideration, look at used Savage bolt action rifles. These are excellent deer rifles in the right calibers, and can sometimes be had for under $300. I bought one in 30-06 for under $200 on GunsAmerica that worked just fine. Of course I immediately converted it to a .338-06.

I think you will find the MN to be awkward, but incredibly accurate. Mine would roll coyotes at 200 yards every time. CB

Hooker

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why would you consider the 30-30 as your first choice as a replacement for the MN? Tradition is the only thing those have going for them. They are short range guns with marginal ballistics, never mind that they have slain a zillion deer. They have wounded two zillion. 30-06, .270, .308 and numerous other calibers are all better by far.

B.S. Wounded deer are caused by poor shot placement and and taking shots beyond capabilities of the cartridge or the shooter. The 30/30 is fine deer cartridge capable of taking deer cleanly out to 200 yrds. The 30/30s record speaks for it's self it doesn't need a paper ballistic pedigree it just gets the job done. Granted the other cartridges you've listed are much flatter shooting but they also have limitations and you still have to place the bullet in the kill zone. Well over 90% of deer are killed are shot at less than 100yards. That is well within the effective range of the 30/30. If we have 2 Zillion wounded deer, cartridges with faster muzzle velocities and flatter trajectories wont solve the problem. And calling a fine old round like the 30/30 marginal makes you look like you have marginal inexperience.

Pat

robinray649

Marksman
Reaction score
I just have to add my 2 cents. A Nagant makes a great deer or pretty much whatever rifle. Use soft tips and the rifle will take a deer pretty much at any range you can shoot. Now for the warning on them things. People have been known to be afflected by Mosinnitis, referred to by most laymen as, I just can't put it down. It is not a smooth as a 303 #4 or a mauser but they are fun. I have a m39m m38, m28, 91/30, and m27. They make very good hunting rifles and you can't go wrong.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just have to add my 2 cents. A Nagant makes a great deer or pretty much whatever rifle. Use soft tips and the rifle will take a deer pretty much at any range you can shoot. Now for the warning on them things. People have been known to be afflected by Mosinnitis, referred to by most laymen as, I just can't put it down. It is not a smooth as a 303 #4 or a mauser but they are fun. I have a m39m m38, m28, 91/30, and m27. They make very good hunting rifles and you can't go wrong.

I did not see a m44 on your list sir. You have failed!

j/k

Latest posts

Top Bottom