Are you in favor of legalizing the sale and trade of wild game and game fish in the United States of America nationwide?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why or why not?

What if there was a provision that wild game (deer, moose, elk, salmon, abalone, dove, duck, etc.) had to pass some inspection by some government agency before a sport hunter or angler could legally transfer his lawfully-taken game or fish to another party in a sale or trade?

I suspect food safety issues are the main reason wild game sales and barter are outlawed in most jursidictions. The odd thing is many jurisdictions in the USA allow wild game to be presented to others as a free gift and without any meat inspection requirements.
Any meat can be gave away uninspected.

I can not legally sell my neighbor a steak without it being inspected.

But I can give them a steak!

It is not about food safety, it is about control!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any meat can be gave away uninspected.

I can not legally sell my neighbor a steak without it being inspected.

But I can give them a steak!

It is not about food safety, it is about control!!!
I get your objection, but the inspection process was to protect the public from commercial sales that sold contaminated meat and gave them the ability to see where the contaminated meat might have came from.
We as responsible hunters would never allow tainted meat to be traded knowingly. Not all of us are responsible though.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get your objection, but the inspection process was to protect the public from commercial sales that sold contaminated meat and gave them the ability to see where the contaminated meat might have came from.
We as responsible hunters would never allow tainted meat to be traded knowingly. Not all of us are responsible though.
I have no desire to sell anything I raise into the commericial market!

I only want to deal direct to the consumer.

And the consumer coming to my farm are inspecting me!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no desire to sell anything I raise into the commericial market!

I only want to deal direct to the consumer.

And the consumer coming to my farm are inspecting me!
Bravo! Your correct. For many years we only bought from the rancher. They had pens and I fed mine out myself. It was only a couple miles from where we live so not a big deal and on the way home from work.
Now, it's pretty much elk and deer in the freezer buying some chicken, beef steaks and pork on occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom