Armed When Answering Door???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I open my door around three one night with my pistol behind my back.

Two of my neighbors had been fighting .

Was a officer on the other side of the door... think he was as shocked as I was. He had the wrong house, I told him where to go and he left.

NO way I'd open my door at 3am without knowing who's there. anyone that knocks on my door gets challenged by a loud "who's there" or something similar. opening your door with a weapon in hand in front of a cop is a good way to get shot. mistake or not .. that cop wants to go home and will defend himself against any perceived threats.

anyone claiming to be a cop will be verified by checking to see out a window if a patrol car is actually there before opening the door. standard tactic for thugs to claim they are say someone from PSO or ONG or whatever to get you to crack the door open.

best to challenge all knocks at your door .. home invasion thugs will typically bang on doors to find out if anyone is at home. if no one answers, your door may get kicked in .. opening up your door a crack may get the door kicked into your face. which is how a lot of home invasions gain entry.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I don't recognize I don't open. I will wait till they walk off and then step out to find out what they want. That gets them away from my front door.

Same here. If I don't know you or if you're not wearing a FedEx uniform, that door stays closed.

Now, if it's daytime, I might (or might not) follow him/her out to their car to see if I can help them. But, we don't open our door to strangers. They can leave a note.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not understand the comment about Brandishing. I can open my door with my pistol in my hand pointed at the floor if I want, so what? Now if I point it at someone while I am opening the door, that might be a different story, but I have a right to hold my pistol in my house no matter who is looking or who sees it.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of my neighbors know that I answer the door armed...as do a few salesmen who don't pay attention to the "no solicitors" sign. Not worried about it. My house, my rules.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can actually be arrested for brandishing even if your gun is holstered in some cases, such as opening your jacket to purposely let someone know you are armed.

Since I open carry virtually all the time in my house out on my property, and sometimes in public, I do not see this as a problem. Not sure where to look up what you are referring to in your reference

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom