Army wants to dump the M9?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aestus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thinking about the lack of innovation in fmj rounds for pistol cartridges compared to what they've been able to achieve in rifle rounds, especially in 5.56x45.

Wonder if our current FMJ rounds in 9mm or .45 is even adequate if we ever had to fight an opponent as equally equipped as ourselves with troops wearing ceramic plate carriers, ect.

Wonder if some of the same tech they've used in the .223 rounds would be used in the pistol rounds. Like a 9mm or .45 version of the M855A1 or MK318 rounds.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They won't select a Glock unless Gaston's company produces one with a manual safety. The .mil is risk averse and will never adopt a pistol for mass issue without one.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read similar articles on several sites. Looks like history is trying to repeat itself with the caliber choice. No telling how many millions of rounds of 45ACP are stored in various locations in military storage.

My preference would be the Glock 21SF, but I don't see it happening cause it doesn't have a manual safety.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They should try the Jennings 25 auto. Super reliable very potant combat pistol.

I am not a big 9 fan, but I don't see any reason to switch away from it. Curious to see of they go fantastic plastic. M&P would be cool.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Great. I thought we was gettin out of the war business. We fought 4 big wars with a 1911 .45. From my experience, I just want some fire supressing capabilities. Big hole, little hole doesnt matter. Going bang every time and going bang alot, gets my vote.

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just thinking about the lack of innovation in fmj rounds for pistol cartridges compared to what they've been able to achieve in rifle rounds, especially in 5.56x45.

Wonder if our current FMJ rounds in 9mm or .45 is even adequate if we ever had to fight an opponent as equally equipped as ourselves with troops wearing ceramic plate carriers, ect.

Wonder if some of the same tech they've used in the .223 rounds would be used in the pistol rounds. Like a 9mm or .45 version of the M855A1 or MK318 rounds.

It wouldn't matter since modern plate armor stops rifle rounds.

They won't select a Glock unless Gaston's company produces one with a manual safety. The .mil is risk averse and will never adopt a pistol for mass issue without one.

So much this. One of the big selling points for the M9 was all it's safety features. I remember doing my M9 training and the TSGT was boasting how the AF spearheaded the adoption of the M9 and I had to keep from blurting out "And you're *proud* of that??"

Striker-fired is the current favored design du jour, with good reason. The question is; will a brand new cartridge be designed or something that's been dustbinned brought back? (10mm, anyone?)

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The article has a quote that sums up handgun terminal ballistics quite well: "I talked to a Chicago cop that shot a guy eight times with a .45 to kill him and that was a 230 grain Hydra-Shok," Langdon said. "And that guy now carries a 9mm …he realized that handgun bullets suck. "You have to shoot people a lot with a handgun."

Latest posts

Top Bottom