Audie Murphy reborn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meyer, later promoted to sergeant and now out of the Marines, is the third living recipient and the first Marine to be awarded the Medal of Honor for actions in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Wow - I knew it was an exclusive club, but I thought there were 5 or 6 living members today. I had no idea that so few were left.

When the White House tried to reach him in the middle of a workday to tell him his medal had been approved, he worried about whether he could take a call while on the job. So the White House arranged for the president to call during Meyer's lunch break.

How bad-ass is it that the White House had to change their plans because of that?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have to give POTUS (or his speech writers) props for mentioning the guys that died that day.

The Army Captain who was with Sgt Meyer that day, who previously went unrecognized, was just nominated for the MOH as well.

Some think politics were initially in play because the Capt was very outspoken about the lack of fire support that day...in fact two officers were reprimanded for failing to provided adequate support.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/...nson-report-ganjgal-hero-recommended-091411w/

Last edited:

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That young man is a hero and surely one of the nation's finest. Why didn't the guy driving the humvee, Staff Sgt Rodriquez-Chavez, also receive the MOH? The Navy Cross is nothing to sneeze at but it still seems a little unfair.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow - I knew it was an exclusive club, but I thought there were 5 or 6 living members today. I had no idea that so few were left.

How bad-ass is it that the White House had to change their plans because of that?
You have to take the full sentence in context. There have been 3 awarded to living people from the wars in Iraq and/or Afghanistan. Not 3 living total. There are several living from Vietnam, Korea and WWII. There are 85 living recipients.

Latest posts

Top Bottom