Audie Murphy reborn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That young man is a hero and surely one of the nation's finest. Why didn't the guy driving the humvee, Staff Sgt Rodriquez-Chavez, also receive the MOH? The Navy Cross is nothing to sneeze at but it still seems a little unfair.

This is the same thing that I thought reading it, still two very very brave men.

Exposure to direct fire is a heavily weighted factor. Most likely Chavez received the Navy Cross because, as the driver of an uparmored HMMWV, he wasn't exposed to direct enemy fire....Meyer continiously exposed himself to direct fire while manning the turret and when dismounting to search for/retrieve the missing Soldiers/Marines.

All that being said, the military decoration system is highly subjective and it's very common to have people over rewarded for an act while others go unrewarded for the same thing....right place, right time, right boss, right witnesses, right command structure are all key components. As evidenced by Capt Swenson, who was there alongside Meyer for key parts of the battle, being completely left out of the decoration submissions.

I saw staff officers who sat in a command post for their entire tour come home with Bronze Stars while junior enlisted men who braved mine fields and enemy fire to disarm bombs came home with Letters of Appreciation or maybe an Achievement Medal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A true hero, as well as the rest of his patrol. SMS, I totally agree with your assessment of how medals can be awarded. Our past presidential candidate with a couple of scratch wounds got the three strikes your out of country and back home award.

I've stood in company formations when the Purple Heart was refused by the recipient, as they didn't consider their wound to be grievous enough.

My kind of folks.

BTW, Audie Murphy came back to the US and appeared in the 101 Ranch extravaganza in Ponca City.
At one time was the largest ranch in the world, with over 100,000 acres. It was a wild west show that traveled the world.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are currently 85 living recipients of the United States military's highest decoration, the Medal of Honor. The Medal of Honor is bestowed to any member of the United States armed forces who distinguishes himself "conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against an enemy of the United States."[1]

Of the 85 living recipients, 14 earned their Medals of Honor in World War II, 13 in the Korean War, 55 in the Vietnam War, and three in the War in Afghanistan. Five earned their medal while serving in the U.S. Air Force, 56 in the U.S. Army, 16 in the U.S. Marine Corps, and 8 in the U.S. Navy. The oldest recipient is Nicholas Oresko, aged 94, whereas the youngest is Dakota Meyer, aged 23. Only two of the medal holders are still on active duty in the U.S. military, both in the Army: War in Afghanistan soldier Leroy Petry and Vietnam veteran Gordon Ray Roberts. Among the recipients are former U.S. Senator Bob Kerrey and current Senator Daniel Inouye. Three retired as generals: Patrick Henry Brady and Robert F. Foley in the Army and James E. Livingston in the Marine Corps

Latest posts

Top Bottom